Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 26, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Advertising as part of entertainment?
    I understand that adds are a necessity but this is ridiculous. Sometimes the advertisements last as long as the program time they interrupt. I don't know if I am an exception but I mentally shut down all incoming signals when the seemingly endless barrage of add antics begin. Of course they time the interruption to happen when the drama is really tense. This is supposed to leave us happily and calmly waiting until they finish delivering their quota. Unfortunately for them, at least in my case, I feel less inclined to listen. In fact, because they have been rude enough to interrupt my entertainment I decide right then and there that whatever it is they are selling I am not buying so there!

My question is this, are these add people so ignorant of human nature that they don't consider anger at being interrupted a very likely possibility? Or is it that they conclude that there are more people who will remain unangered by their rudeness and so are playing the stats?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2006, 09:12 PM
    That is the reason I have watched almost no live TV in years.

I tape what I plan to watch and then watch it later.

Unless I am on a digital TV. Then I just pause the TV and come back 20 minutes later so I can fast-forward through the commercials.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
    It is not the advertisers that are to blame but the networks and the producers on the shows. I think you probably know that if a show has high ratings then the networks and producers can charge more money for the ad. That need that revenue to pay for production costs and line their pockets.

So, the more popular a television show is, the more ad space will be sold and squeezed into the shows timeslot. Viewers are fickle and once a shows ratings drop, less money is made. Eventually it is cancelled altogether and the cycle starts anew for the producers.

That is why I like certain cable channels and pay-per-view.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a sport or entertainment? [ 3 Answers ]

Aren't fantasy leagues a game of strategy using sports and sporting events as a sort of dice roll or spin of the needle? This is like calling Monopoly a sport. I suppose if you define sports as anything that entails competition, we could include poker, chess, canasta, and the like. What is...

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

Entertainment [ 1 Answers ]

We have never been to NY but we think that everyone should go one time on New Years even we will arrive on Friday afternoon and have the weekend through New years eve to explore NY. We would like to take a carriage ride and see the Christmas Tree Rockefeller center any suggestion would be helpful

About advertising media [ 5 Answers ]

As a university student, your purchase behaviors are most influenced by which type of advertising media? Explore.

View more questions Search