Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sawman2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 02:55 PM
    If you were awarded joint cusdity of a child and 10 yrs later find out you are not th
    I was awarded joint custody with child's grandmother now 10 years later find out he is not my biological child so I took him to his biological mother and left him there with her can I be chrged with abandonment. His grandmother refused to allow him to live with her when he was accused of molesting his 6 yr old sister.the case was dismissed for lack of evidence. He returned to my care and my wife and 6 yr old daughter moved out of our family home because my wife did not want them to live in the same house, after a yr I found out he is not my biological child
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2010, 03:30 PM

If you are the legal parent of the child (regardless of biology) you continue to be responsible for that child until you are no longer the legal parent. While you can't be charged with abandonment, since you left the child with a (hopefully) responsible adult, there are other things you could be charged with. Since custody was removed from the bio mother (I'm assuming this since you said it was awarded to the grandmother), then there is an assumption that she may not be fit or responsible. This could leave charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

I'm also not clear on what has happened here. You state the grandmother has kicked him out even though there was no evidence. Now you are saying your wife moved out with your daughter again with no evidence.

Does anyone care about this child? Is it any wonder that he may have issues with the way he's been treated (assuming he's a male).

If you have been the legal father for 10 years it may be too late to challenge that, even if DNA shows you are not the bio father. Laws on this vary by locale (which is why ANY question of law NEEDS to include your general area).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 03:37 PM

And after 10 years of raising a child, how can you not feel he is yours no matter what a test shows ?

Next how did you find out he was not yours, what made you do a test ?

Why don't you want to raise him ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If awarded child support during a divorce and the father moves back do he still pay [ 3 Answers ]

If awarded child support during a divorce and the father moves back into the house where the child resides is he still responsible for paying the court ordered child support? I am asking because my ex-husband moved back into the house and would only write a check for half of the mortgage because in...

Can child support be awarded if the child has been abandoned [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are currently sperated and filing for divorce. If I sue him for child abandonment I'm afraid that he won't have to pay child support.

Filing child support for the first time after child is 18 yrs old [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and his ex have a 12 year old daughter, he has been paying the mother in cash for the whole time and has no proof of the payments. He is scared to make her mad fearing she may go and file back child support on him. He thinks he can make her happy until the child is 18 and have his...

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

View more questions Search