Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timthetoolman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 04:07 AM
    Basement ceiling heght code
    What is the code to finish a basement for the ceiling height and are there any axceptions
    Thanks Tim
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Sep 6, 2010, 06:07 AM
    International Residential Code requires a minimum ceiling height of 7 feet above the finshed floor for habitable rooms.

The exception is for any beams that may be present which can be 6' 8" above the floor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Code height of basement outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a split level ranch with a 2 car attached garage. The garage floor is 18" higher than the basement floor. A 2-step down into the basement. I am making the basement into a family room. Is there a code restriction regarding electric receptical outlets and/or a minimum/maximum distance to...

Ceiling fan code sequences [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a ceiling fan with a remote. I installed the fan and forgot to set the 4 digit code to the controller... up down sequence. How can I figure it out. Can u send some type of sequences possible sheet. Model #uc7086t. Thanks-Jerod

2008 vs. 2005 code in regards to basement GFCI req. [ 2 Answers ]

I am still a little confused about the necessity of GFCI outlets in Basements and Garages concerning appliances "mainly the sump pump". All of the AMHD regular contributors seem to say that GFCI outlets are not required for appliances such as sump pumps and freezers however the 2008 code version...

Finish a basement to code. [ 2 Answers ]

I want to gut my basement and finish it. Where can I find a list of rules and regulations regarding basement construction so I don't violate any building codes. I live in New York City in a one family house. Thanks for any help. WMorg555

View more questions Search