Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babygirl45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 12:55 PM
    Is it bad to not tell my parents about my boyfriend?
    I'm 14. My boyrfirend and I have been going out for a little over 5 months. People at school know about us. My parents don't know about it and my boyfriends dad just found out, but his parents didn't know before. Im not really close to my parents. They are hard to talk to and I just don't like telling them that sort of stuff. But I'm tired of lying to them and not telling them about my boyfriend. I want to tell them I just doont know how to? I have an older brother who I'm really close to and we tell each other stuff we don't tell our parents. So I'm thinking about telling him and then letting him tell out parents. Any other ideas? What should I do?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 5, 2010, 01:12 PM

What are your parents feelings about dating at your age?
    Being honest about something your are doing even if it may mess things up is a part of taking responsibility for your actions, part of maturing. If you are sneaking around and lying to your parents and they find out, you will have to regain their trust and that may be a long hard road.
    Do the right thing and tell them what you are doing and apologise for lying
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2010, 01:47 PM

What are you lying about ?
    What type of dating are you doing ?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2010, 01:53 PM

How old is your boyfriend?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 5, 2010, 01:53 PM

How do you think your parents are going to feel that you have been hiding this from them? Don't you think they will think there are other reasons you are hiding this from them?

You NEED to tell your parents about these things. Not ONLY tell them, but ask their permission. And you need to do this TODAY!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 5, 2010, 03:48 PM

You have to define dating for us as at 14, a boyfriend at school is very different from someone you hang at the mall, or the movies with.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2010, 03:53 PM

I agree with you that you should tell them. They need to know.

I think you should tell your older brother and then ask him to sit with you while you tell your parents. Your brother's presence may help keep them from overreacting and make you feel safer. And I also agree with others that you should apologize for lying.

Arrange for your boyfriend to come meet your parents soon after, just so they have a sense of who is he. Keep things low key. If they get upset, wait them out and listen without losing your cool.

Good luck!

EDIT: "Soon after" meaning like within a few days.
    babygirl45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    But I'm not close to my parents, its hard to talk to them about stuff like that.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 6, 2010, 04:23 PM
    If they don't care that you have one, just tell them you have one. Tell them you want them to meet him.
    kristi123456789 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babygirl45 View Post
    im 14. my boyrfirend and i have been going out for a little over 5 months. people at school know about us. My parents dont know about it and my boyfriends dad just found out, but his parents didnt know before. Im not really close to my parents. They are hard to talk to and i just dont like telling them that sort of stuff. but im tired of lieing to them and not telling them about my boyfriend. i want to tell them i just doont know how to? i have an older brother who im really close to and we tell each other stuff we dont tell our parents. so im thinking about telling him and then letting him tell out parents. any other ideas? what should i do?
    I think you should be honest to your parents and tell them the truth about the secret you hide from them :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I prove to the police that my parents treat me bad? [ 4 Answers ]

OK well not me. They treat my boyfriend bad. They constantly talk crap to him. And they make him feel like a worthless person. I would understand if he was doing things bad they would tell him things but no! He does nothing wrong. They don't want him to be with me. I'm 17 and he's 16. They wanted...

Student loan, 17yrs with parents bad credit [ 4 Answers ]

My parents have bad credit, and I am only 27 I am graduating in may 2010 and should start in 2010 sept. but I need to find a way to pay and I don't know how? Is there any way for me to pay for school? I tried fafsa and the estimate I got from them was 16,000 but my school is 24000 without room...

My boyfriend broke up with me because of my parents? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 19 and my ex is 21. Tomorrow it would have been 8 months for us going out. I love him so much. Before, he "broke" up with me, but it was a two day break, but then he came back loving me more than ever. We have shared soooo much together, and we have done everything together. However, even...

Boyfriend meeting the parents [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation, I am from haitian background and my boyfriend is italian. We have been dating for 8 months now. I come from a family with old values and mentality. My family is putting pressure on me, they want to meet my boyfriend. This situation wouldn't be if I wasn't living at home (...

My boyfriend has crackhead parents [ 1 Answers ]

Ok well I've been with my boyfriend for over 2 years and his parents are crackheads. Seriously. His dad hits his mom and smokes crack around him and his little brother and cheats on his mom. His mom stays with his dad even though the dad does this crap. The dad is the only one that works and spends...

View more questions Search