Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radio309 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Tax Lawyer Position
    I am 48 years old. I obtained my law degree in 2002 and joined the Connecticut Bar in 2006. I have not been able to obtain a position as a Tax Lawyer in Connecticut. Thank you in advance for any advice you may have for me.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 26, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Do you have an undergraduate degree in accounting? An MBA? If you have neither then you should consider obtaining an LLM in taxation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2006, 07:00 PM
    From my understanding, and this is only second hand info, there are a lot of attorneys out there looking for jobs.

And in some areas like tax law it is even harder. Many prior IRS people go latter into a tax law position and as noted they want that CPA along with that law degree.

Next of course you ar limiting yourself to one state, and you are just brand new to the bar.

I would say that you need to consider getting a job in the legal field, if you have not already, go back and continue more education perhaps, and then keep working.

There are only so many openings in so many firms at any one time. After that you are going against perhaps people with tax or accounting experience, and what school you got your law degree from can make a differnece.

Have you considered looking at a non profit group and doing work for them for free ( while of course doing something else) to get the experience working in the tax field. I am sure there are many non profits that would die to have an attorney helping with the low income people on tax issues.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 26, 2006, 07:03 PM
    What FrChuck said. And something else to consider... have you thought about applying for a job with the IRS? It's a great way to get tax experience, makes you much more attractive to a tax firm in a few years and the benefits are great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What ? 2 ask a lawyer for custody? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need some help!! My son is 10 yrs old and my ex and I have joint custody and our son lives with him. I have recently found out that my ex signed our son over to his sister and now she has a "guardinship papers" our my son. I went to get him and she would not give him up. I later found...

Rude lawyer [ 15 Answers ]

Okay, I got into a car accident a little while ago and had a lawyer who told me I could fire him at any time, now he is coming at me saying I owe him 1,100 dollars. I fired him because this happened in march and in oct I still had not heard back from him, I left message after message. When I told...

Hit By Lawyer ! [ 4 Answers ]

Lawyer Backed Into Me At Block Buster; As I Was Dropping Off Video. Claims It Was My Fault. I Say He Was Negelant, He Did Not Make Sure It Was Safe Or That It Was Clear Before He Backed Up.

Lawyer took my money! [ 2 Answers ]

Can I sue my former attorney's malpractice insurance for her misappropriating my funds? I filed a formal complaint with the California state bar. They found that she had misappropriated my funds, but by the end of the divorce had paid what they thought she owed (even though I had to fight over 2...

View more questions Search