Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baboo_50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Reducing BMI/Weight after 50
    Greetings!

I just joined the "50" club this past May. My BMI is "around" (pardon the pun) 30-31 and I believe I weigh 235lbs. It's the midsection. I have bad dietary habits. I eat late (anywhere between 7:30pm-9:00pm) Then, I lay right down, watch TV, and crash out. Only walking maybe 10 miles a week. Have a desk job and sit at computer all day. Lazy and low pain threshold. Military Veteran (1975-1978) I just signed up for a free 2-week membership at a nearby Bally Fitness. Begins on Jan. 6th. I know that exercise is mandatory. I have no clue as to how to lose weight safely, without the pills or gimmicks. Please advise as how to devise a plan whereby I adhere to a daily caloric intake while burning the required calories according to exercises not only targeting the unsightly midsection( there are washboard abs under there somewhere ) I quit drinking, drugs, and cigarette smoking almost 16 years ago. I know I can do this with proper guidance. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Robert in Albany, NY
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by baboo_50
    Greetings!

I just joined the "50" club this past May. My BMI is "around" (pardon the pun) 30-31 and I believe I weigh 235lbs. It's the midsection. I have bad dietary habits. I eat late (anywhere between 7:30pm-9:00pm) Then, I lay right down, watch TV, and crash out. Only walking maybe 10 miles a week. Have a desk job and sit at computer all day. Lazy and low pain threshhold. Military Veteran (1975-1978) I just signed up for a free 2-week membership at a nearby Bally Fitness. Begins on Jan. 6th. I know that exercise is mandatory. I have no clue as to how to lose weight safely, without the pills or gimmicks. Please advise as how to devise a plan whereby I adhere to a daily caloric intake while burning the required calories according to exercises not only targeting the unsightly midsection( there are washboard abs under there somewhere ) I quit drinking, drugs, and cigarette smoking almost 16 years ago. I know I can do this with proper guidance. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Robert in Albany, NY
    Well, welcome to the Club!! Now get off that couch!! And the Club membership is a great idea, but really make an effort to "go", it'll become a habit. Watch the amounts of foods your eating and of course what your are eating! Cut out the fast food, sugar filled and fried or fatty meats. Eat more salads, veggies and leaner cuts of meat, chicken and fish. Eating late at is no good, you need to completely stop eating 2 hours before you normally go to sleep. Instead of taking that last "snack" go for a walk around the block.
    Cut out colas, chips, whole milk, try low fat milks and products, look at the labels on food product and check what the sodium and sugar and fat contents of the food you might want to eat. Look into recipes that are low fat, and try different ways of cooking, like broiling instead of frying. Use olive oil, or vegetable sprays instead of butter and oils that are full of trans fats and calories. To lose weight, you need to creat a calorie deficit by reducing your calories below your maintenance level, There are 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat, so it takes some readjusting to lost excess weight.Reducing calories by 15-20% is a good place to start. Hope this helps!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reducing upstairs noise [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a privately owned condo on the first floor. The person who lives above me is very nice but I can hear her EVERYWHERE she goes and it sounds like an earthquake, constant STOMPING like stormtroopers overhead. She recently replaced her flooring (new carpet and corkboard linoleum) and it...

Reducing taxes [ 5 Answers ]

It is true that if a spouse writes a new warranty deed and adds his or her spouse to it that the WD can be written for a lesser amount that the property value and so in turn taxes are reduced... and if so what type of negative results could that have on the property value?

How To locate the pressure reducing valve [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my pressure redcing valve to eliminate the noizy water in the house but I am not able to find where its located

Reducing all subject matter to religion [ 14 Answers ]

What is the best way to handle overly religious family members who refuse to stop talking about religion. Even though I've explained to them many times that I prefer not to discuss relgion, they refuse to respect my wishes. Please advise, joycesewandsew

Pressure reducing valve? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi again, Firstly, thanks for all your advice so far... I installed the thermostatic shower valve (by hudson reed of the UK) and shower arm (using drop eared elbow as per your advice - thanks!). I checked for leaks and there were none, but when I turn the volume of water up to try and get...

View more questions Search