Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookie2804 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 07:54 PM
    Can you paint over wall paper
    Can you paint over wll paper
    jcscos Posts: 13, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2010, 07:58 PM

Ugh... I would say no. I took wallpaper down in my kitchen to paint by the advice of my parents who were homeowners for years. I don't think it would "stick" as well or stay in good shape. I would just suck it up and take the extra and very painful step of taking off the wallpaper :( good luck!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2010, 08:23 PM

It is not advised to paint over wall paper. The seams in paper will show and after some time will start to peel. U can also get bubbles in paper from moisture in paint.

There is a roller tool that can be used in helping remove the paper. It puts very small holes in paper to let water get to paste. Be sure to clean all glue off walls and prime before finish painting.

Chuck

Chuck
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Sep 4, 2010, 08:40 PM

I agree with the others. My sister bought a house that had walls covered in painted-over wallpaper and it looked hideous. You could tell that the wallpaper was still there and the design popped through. It was actually easy to take the paper off though because the paint made the paper flexible.

A good way to take wallpaper off though is filling a spray bottle with water mixed with about 1/2 of a cap of liquid fabric softener. Soak an area of the wall with the mixture and then peel the paper off, then soak another part and repeat. It works!
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Sep 7, 2010, 03:07 PM

I painted over the wallpaper in my bedroom and no one can tell. It was painted over 7 years ago and I am getting ready to change the color now.All seams need to be glued down and water-based kilz-it applied over the wallpaper. The kilz-it can be tinted close to your final paint color.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2010, 11:50 PM
    Hi, cookie2804!

What kind of wallpaper is it, please?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall paper removal [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best ad easiest method for removing wall paper?

Price on Wall Paper Removal [ 1 Answers ]

What is a fair price to charge on wall paper removal?

Removing wall paper [ 6 Answers ]

This is only one of my projects today. I know it won't be easy, have a few ideas and will try them all because basically have nothing to lose but time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Cover paneling with wall paper [ 3 Answers ]

:o I have paneling on my walls from the 70's. I'd like to fill the spaces, cracks and holes then cover with wallpaper. I've been told to fill the spaces, cracks and holes with something that doesn't shrink. I know very little about this. Anyone have a suggestion as to what product I should use?

View more questions Search