Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottwheeler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 06:38 AM
    Problems with husqvarna 2554 with Kohler engine
    I have a Husqvarna LGT 2554 with a Kohler engine. Engine starts and runs fine for about 30- 45 minutes then just dies. Let sit for a while and then starts and runs fine for about 30 minutes. Repeat. Repeat etc. mower is less than two years old and has low hours. Only use it to mow my yard. What could be the problem other than stale gas.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2010, 07:11 AM

Could be fuel tank not venting,
    Check your gas cap/and or lines.
    MarhofferK Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 04:58 AM
    Scott,
    I bought a LGT 2554 with the Kohler on it in April of this year. I had it for about two months and the engine started having the same problem. It would run for about 20 min of mowing and then die. You can pull on the choke and draw gas while cranking the starter and it would start but for about a second. I called Lowe's and told them that when you walk into a place a pay cash for the best riding tractor they have it should work. So, they gave me another one that was new right off the line. Yeah this was great, you would think. I used it for a couple of time and let it sit until Saturday 092510 because the grass hasent grown cause no rain. Started it up started mowing the leaves up since they are starting to fall and flop the mower fell on its face just like the first one. Doing the same D*mn thing the first one was. Yeah don't go and wast your money on draining the fuel, putting on a new gas filter, changing the plug and buying the oil for the pre-cleaner unit, cleaning the pre-cleaner unit, greasing it and putting back on cause it does nothing for it. If you find something out about why it stopping or if Husqvarna has came to believe there is something wrong with the mower please let me know. I am going to contact Husqvarna and tell them but I am sure they will want me to go to the kid that got hird for summer help at Lowers I bought it from. I will never make this mistake again.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 05:57 AM

Could be the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb , I worked on a John Deere with a Kohler engine on it , same problem , ran it down to the fuel solenoid it was getting hot and shutting off. .
    Luck

Sep 27, 2010, 10:49 AM

I called Kohler's robot man on the phone and it directed me through a menu. Oh, it was great at the end I added my zip code and it connected me to my local dealer. Wow, I would have never known to call them. I guess they think we are all just a bunch of idiots. The whole reason I called was to talk to someone that might be educated on their product and maybe, just maybe there is something known that is wrong and they can anser my question. Yeah, I can take it to some Jack and he can start replacing piece by piece until hey buddy I found out what it was wrong with it and you can pay for all the other things I replaced too. Two Kohler engines under 25 hours of lite use (1 Acre yard) both don't work. I really thought that paying the extra money for a Kohler would get me something better. I've always heard from people that had the money to get the Kohler engines on their mowers that is was worth the money and man they are good engines. I on the other hand now have realized that you can beat a briggs and stratton and will always remember this in the future. I am so mad a Husqvarna that I am probably going to trade in my chainsaw on something else, I no longer support them.
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 12:08 PM

For my money the kohler is the better engine Husqvarna could be having a relay problem
    Could be the line that runs from fuel filter to fuel tank , could be pinched under fender deck , might be a problem with this unit ,
    SargeCloud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 01:28 PM
    I had this same problem as well a couple months after I purchased the my Husqvarna 2554 tractor. I replace the fuel filter and it fixed the problem (although it's crazy I had to replace the fuel filter after 3 months of use).

May 11, 2011, 04:30 AM
    Ok, I am back again. The 2554 that I bought last year has been into the shop 4 times this year. The fueld solinoid has been replace, fuel pump, fuel pick up line in tank, fuel filter, the whole fuel line, the coil, the sensor under the seat that shuts off tractor if no weight on it, carb has been gone through and cleaned. Remember this is the second 2554 with the Kohler that I have received, both brand new. The first one I owned for 28 days and mowed twice until it started to quit on me so I returned it to receive a replacement. Now the replacement tractor that I got last fall has been in 4 times. I am so tired of having to pay others and borrow others tractors to mow my lawn. Hauling cost and borrowing trailors to haul it back in forth to the shop is putting me at the end of my tolerance level. I found out from the shop that I have had working on the mower that the Kohler Courage Engine that is on the 2554 isn't really a Kohler engine, its made by a sister company. If I could do it all over again I would save the $2500.00 I paid in cash for this mower and get a Murray with a 40in cut that would actually let me cut my yard. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A HUSQVARNA 2554 PLEASE TAKE THIS AS A WARNING, DO NOT PURCHASE IT, PLEASE TURN AROUND AND GO ELSEWHERE BRAND WISE. Complete headache, between running it back and forth to get worked on, the lawn half mowed all the time, the wife telling me I'm a complete idiot for buying the thing and its my fault, the mower shop that's working on it telling me they have changed everything but the actual engine and are fed up with me bringing it in.
    jpme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 06:29 AM
    Had the same problem. I was putting on the gas cap too tight so that it would not vent. Once I lossened the cap. It worked fine.

JP
    Zhehol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2013, 08:38 PM
    Agree, stay away from Husqvarna. Two year old 2554 w/ less than 40 hrs ran like crap from week one. 1st season had to clean out carb just to get it to start. Same issue this year, have to play with choke to keep it running. Started knocking so bad you could barely stay on the seat. Went to try to use it today and wouldn't start. Tried to jump it. Turns over, but now sounds like the cylinder head might be cracked, can hear compression leaking from cylinder and will not start. At $2500, I paid about $60/hr. ABSOLUTE PIECE OF JUNK AND WASTE OF MONEY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husqvarna lgt 2654 lawn mower engine turns over but does not start [ 8 Answers ]

The engine will turn over but never engage. Ran just fine a few days ago!

LT 160 Kohler engine When I move the throttle the engine stays at maximum speed [ 2 Answers ]

The throttle cable is like new and works smoothly. It looks like the mechanical link age is working. The engine appears to stay at max speed. I do not hear the engine speed up when I engage the mower. I used to always hear the govenor increase when the mower was engaged

Husqvarna YTH2448 engine stalls when blades engaged [ 5 Answers ]

Good afternoon all, I have a quick question that I am hoping someone can help me with. I have a Husqvarna yth 2448 that stalls when the engine is engaged after running for about 30 minutes. After the mower sits and cools off, it will cut fine again. I checked the seat sensor, not sure if that...

Husqvarna 155 rider - 15.5 hp kohler engine removal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks. I have a 15.5 vertical shaft Kohler Command engine (CV15S) that I am attempting to remove from the tractor frame. Think it threw a rod! All bolts and connectors on engine are removed except the vertical shaft. I am requesting help on procedure to remove shaft from tractor that includes...

Husqvarna BT-130 backpack blower; engine speed [ 5 Answers ]

I have just purchased a Husqvarna BT-130 backpack blower and it runs at about half speed and does good to move a blade of grass. I have read the owners manual trying to find carb adjustment instructions. All it says is after about 10 hours of run time, take it to a qualified Husqvarna technician...

View more questions Search