Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdogjon1966 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
    Check written on a closed acct.
    My brother and his wife of 24 years have been separated for approx. 3 months. They had a joint checking acct with his name as the primary acct holder. He has closed the acct and she has the checks in her possession and is writing checks from this account. Do you have any advice I could share with him. She has a long history of writing bad checks, and has always been helped out of each situation by my parents and her family members. Could my brother be responsible for these bad checks even though she signed them with her own signature, or should we try and talk him into filing charges himself. Even though she has been cheating on him and she is the one moved out he still finds it hard to stand against her. The only reason he closed this acct with only his check being direct deposit, was that every time his payday went into the acct she took his entire paycheck and telling him she had paid his car payment, utilities, etc. but later to find out none had been paid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2010, 05:23 PM

If he closed the account and has proof he informed her of it, then he should be safe. Let someone she writes the check to go after her.

If the police question him he shows them that he closed the account and warned her not to continue to use it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2010, 05:46 PM

Is it a legal separation, are they in process of a divorce ?
    bigdogjon1966 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 08:01 AM
    No legal separation or not process of a divorce

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writing a check on a closed account to MYSELF? [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, I know this sounds really bad and dishonest. But a couple of times, I have written a couple checks to my OPEN account to myself from an old CLOSED account (I still had the checkbook after I closed it) to avoid overdraft fees. For example, I have $50 in my account, I don't get paid for 2 more...

Child support closed out my case, but still took out money from my check [ 3 Answers ]

My child support case has been closed, but they're still taking money from my disability check. Does that money come back to me?

I wrote a company check on a closed company account [ 2 Answers ]

I wrote a company check on a closed company account, what happens. They're both my companies

Acct Closed by Credit Grantor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just received my credit report from Transunion. I have (1) adverse account. Its an AE account that was closed by credit grantor. Its off my record in 2011. I would like to find out strategies I can implement when I call them to have them take it off my record asap. I remembered the...

How long do I have to pay off a check written off a closed account [ 4 Answers ]

How long do I have to pay off a check written on a closed account before a warrant is issued?

View more questions Search