Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlsm15384 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Floor insulation
    I am building a cabin in NE Texas, I can not find anything on insulating the raised floor except closed crawl space. I want an open crawl space but would like to use 1/4 inch PT plywood on bottom side exposed to out side to keep out the varmints and minimize bugs. Would I use pressure treated wood on out side, then house wrap, then insulation, then inside T&G flooring? And no vapor barrier insulation by using the house wrap. Or am I way off base here. Has anyone had any experience with this type of setup. My wife hates bugs inside
    Thanks for any info RLS
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 3, 2010, 05:25 PM

Look into TAPS insulation. It's a sealed roll insulation with an insecticide impregnated wrapper. It seems to be a good bit more effective than PT wood, but I don't know about longevity.

http://www.tapinsulation.com/
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Sep 3, 2010, 05:48 PM

NE Texas is a 'hot, moist' climate and there should be no vapor retarders used at all.

Or if used, vapor retarders should be on the exterior side of the floor or wall assembly.
    ----
    Housewrap is fine but remember, housewrap is an air barrier, not a vapor retarder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is insulation needed between main floor of house and basement ceiling? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Still renovating that old house we bought. The basement is partially finished - there was a drywall ceiling - part of it has been taken down due to a previous water leak. There was insulation (non faced) between the ceiling and upper floor. Before we replace the drywall - do we need to...

In floor heat / slab insulation [ 1 Answers ]

I live in MN. This winter I noticed a cold draft coming from under the baseboard trim along my patio home's exterior walls. Today as I began pulling off the trim I noticed that there was a gap between the 1" rigid foam and the poured slab. In some spots the gap was as wide as 1/2 cm. Is this...

Floor insulation [ 1 Answers ]

I've recently purchased a bungalow,had contractors in to insulate loft and walls,the only thing I find the floors which are concrete are rather cold even with carpet and underlay,any suggestions as I don't want to go in to underfloor heating as I find it quite expensive.

Securing floor insulation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a beach house near the water on pilings. It is completely open underneath and not closed in. The floor will get R19 insulation. How do you keep the insulation from blowing out from under the house during storms and high winds? Do I cover the whole underneath of the house with Luan or some...

Mold under floor insulation [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Helpdesk I live in Kamuela, HI at an elevation of 3000 ft. It is often chilly and damp here. My house is up on post and pier 2-4 ft above ground. In Dec. and Jan. the floor gets very cold at night so I decided to put R-19 under the floor (oak flooring with 3 coats urethane varnish). ...

View more questions Search