Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KyAnne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 03:23 PM
    I'm 12 and I want to lose weight?
    OK I'm 12 I'm 5 2" and I'm 156 I want to lose weight but I get so discouraged is there ANY diet that you really loose weight not just this really fast diet? And more people would like me if I was skinnyer I would be better at sports I don't want to grow up and be a fat person people say oh you will get skinnier when you get taller but I want to look nice when I'm 12 not when I'm 28
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 04:15 PM

Your body is going to go through quite a bit of change over the next several years, but now is certainly a good time to develop good eating and exercise habits.

These will last you a life time and help you maintain your health and be at a weight that is comfortable for you.

There is no magic diet, just eating healthy foods, limiting the junk foods, and watching how much you put on your plate. A good trick you might find helpful when starting... for any goodie you eat, have two of something healthy. For example... have the bowl of ice cream once in awhile, but instead of 3 big scoops, have two small ones... and then have some grapes and a banana later. If you go to a fast food place, have the kids' meal instead of a regular meal... later have some carrots with a little dip and an apple, maybe with some peanut butter.

The next time you go to a restaurant with your family, look at the amount of food on everyone's plates. Much of the time the food on their plate will actually be 2-4 servings of the amount their body actually needs at a meal.

Try to eat more fruits and veggies as you find them in the produce section. Look for breads, bagels, etc. that are 100% whole wheat or whole grains. Cut back on the amount of sodas you drink if you drink them... better yet, try to drink something else and forget the soda, even diet soda. Maybe keep it as something you have only when you eat out. Any little bit less can help. Ask your mom to buy lean meats to cut down on the amount of fats in them. Try to eat fish more often. Become a label reader and you can help your whole family eat better!

A few things to look for on labels that are easy to remember:

*no trans fats
    *at least 2.5 grams of fiber... above 5 grams in a serving is something to try for whenever possible
    *no more than 3 grams of fat per 100 calories
    *no high fructose corn syrup... limit all the "-toses" that you can
    *100% whole grains are better than enriched grains

Go to the store with whoever does the shopping for your family and see if you can buy at least a few healthier items to replace some unhealthy choices. Many times you can find one brand of an item that is just a bit healthier than another.

Ask a family member or friend to go walking with you. Go swimming, bike riding, walk a dog, etc.. Make up dance moves with a friend. Maybe buy or rent an exercise dvd or video to use at home. Buy a jump rope and start jumping to some music that you like. Find some fun ways to get moving!

Eating well and getting regular exercise is the ONLY way to get in shape in a healthy way and to stay that way.

It isn't easy if you have to make some changes in what you eat and if you don't really exercise. But stick with it... even if you mess up once in awhile, get back into making some good choices. After sometime it will get easier and before long it will be normal to you!

Get in shape for yourself, not because you want people to like you. Who needs friends who will only like you if you look a certain way? Make friends with people who like you for you!
    GirlInAus Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2010, 02:26 AM
    Kyanne please don't loose weight just because you want to look good. Loose weight because you want to feel good and be healthy!

Also don't assume that just cause you're skinnier you're going to be good at sports. You're going to be exactly the same as sports, unless you start exercising and improving your fitness!

Doula LC has written quite a lot of information to refer to that, but the main things you've got to do is eat well, and exercise. It's as simple as that.

Fad diets are not the key, you may notice results to begin with but the weight will come straight back unless you maintain it - which again means eat well and exercise!

Cut out soft drinks, chips, chocolates, fried foods, fast foods, processed foods, and stick to eating vegetables, small portions of meat, small portions of brown rice or wholegrain pasta. Also stick to green non-starchy veggies. Stay away from potatoes, pumpkin, peas, corn, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

My b/f wants me to lose weight! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I'm 22 years old,my boyfriend is 32(he is my first man) soon its going to be 3 Years since me and my boyfriend are together. My height is 5.5(165cm) and when I met my b/f almost 3 years ago my weight was 125lbs, and about 8-12 months ago I gained weight to 140lbs, I'm not fat, but I do have...

Do you think I need to lose some weight? [ 16 Answers ]

o.k. here's my problem... sometimes I feel pressured to lose weight because I feel "fat". I know I'm not but sometimes I think I'm fat. I'm 5ft 4in tall and I weigh 146lbs. Do you think this is a healthy weight? And about my other problem about thinking I'm fat, what should I do about that? I don't...

Will I lose weight? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am 30 years old, I weight 192 and I am 5'5. I want to go down to 155 lb by June. I am not sure if that possible. I do work out 6 days a week and sometime even 7 days a week. I do Elliptical for 60 min or 70 min at lunch time and an other 60 min at around 5 in the afternoon. For the...

Trying to lose weight [ 4 Answers ]

I want to lose about 30 pounds by may 13 its my 21st birthday and I really want to look good for it I need ideas for a diet that's doesn't cost anything that I can do

View more questions Search