Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PR1981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2010, 06:43 AM
    Child custody across state lines of va and md
    I live in virginia metro area and my mother lives in Maryland. I am having relationship difficulties with the father of my soon to be baby daughter due in two weeks. He's been in trouble with the law plenty in the past. My question is ,if I have the baby in virginia and I end up separating from the father and move to my mothers just an hour away, will he be able to force me into keeping the baby in the state of virginia even though I would have no money and no resources there to depend on besides him? This is VERY important that I know this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2010, 08:09 AM

First this is a LEGAL question so has been moved from the Children form. Please choose the forum to post in more carefully in the future.

There is really no way to answer this authoritatively. Generally, if a non custodial parent has been granted visitation rights the custodial parent can't move if moving would make it difficult to enforce the visitation.

But with no court order in place, this make it a lot iffier. If you did move, and he files in VA court he could force you to return to VA. On the other hand an hours travel is not onerous on his being able to be a father.

You just have to move and see how the courts play this out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Custody Across State Lines [ 7 Answers ]

Please bear with me, this is a complex question: I was served yesterday with a summons stating that my ex husband is suing for custody of our two sons, ages 8 & 10. I have no money for an attorney and legal aid services are difficult to come by. My ex, however, married an attorney when we...

Child Custody Across State lines [ 8 Answers ]

I have never been married to my Daughters mother, Our child is 12months old now and we have no custody agreement through the courts. I would like to start custody and visitation arrangements along with child support, I get my daughter every once in a while, but not as much as I like. I am moving to...

Custody fight across state lines [ 2 Answers ]

I want to get sole-custody of my 3-year old daughter. By her behavior over Christmas I suspect she is being abused by her mother. Mom and daughter live in N. Carolina and I live in Calif. We've been legally separated since just before I got out of the military. There was never any formal agreement...

View more questions Search