Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sim0nz12345 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2010, 04:56 AM
    The Multiplier Effect Equation
    Hi there, could you please provide some perspective to this question concerning the multipler effect.

For this question, assume the economy currently has a recessionary output gap and that the marginal propensity to consume is 0.8.

Consider a three-sector Keynesian model in which the only form of taxation is exogenous taxes (that is, the tax rate, t, is zero). Note that a three sector model comprises households, firms and the government (there are no exports or imports). Suppose the government increases its expenditure by $1 billion, financed through an increase in exogenous taxes of $1 billion. Derive the formula for the multiplier needed to analyse the effect of this fiscal policy on equilibrium GDP. Calculate thevalue of the change in equilibrium GDP.

I know the multipler equation is simply 1/(1-x) but I don't know how it incorporates in the Keynesian model I derived below from my teaching nor what formula to analyse the effect of this fiscal policy.

The three sector economy economy is what I simplified already taking into effects taxes in the consumption function.
    Y=PAE=C+I+G
    Y=C bar + cY +I + G
    T=C bar +c (y-t) + I + G
    Y- cY= c bar - cT + I + G
    Y=(1-c) = c bar - cT + I+ G
    therefore Y= 1/(1-c) x (c bar-cT + I + G)

Thanks much appreciated.
    sim0nz12345 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2010, 05:11 AM

Wait I'm confused, what does the multiplier used in this context mean. Is it a simple equation to analyse the effect on this fiscal policy?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Total effect + income effect = Substitution effect? [ 1 Answers ]

In intermediate economics we are told that Total Effect = Income effect + Substitution effect but in advance level this relation is changed to Total effect+income effect = substitution effect why is that? Please explain with logic

Langrange Multiplier [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to solve this langrangean problem: TC=5xz+4xy+4yz - MAIN FUNCTION xyz=12 - CONSTRAINT FUNCTION xyz-12=0

View more questions Search