Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deb0725 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 04:50 PM
    How to sue self-employed ex for his half of the copay and insurance for children?
    I have one daughter now 17, the other 19. Over the last 5 years, we have accumulated almost 35K in insurance and co-pays that were directed to be paid by my exhusband. He has made no attempt and is behind in child support. To be to the point, I missed two appt's in court and the TX State Atty would not file against my ex since I was not in court. I currently live in Canada and was told I would have to take him to court on my own to file. How and where do I search? He quit his ($85K a yr) job two weeks prior to our divorce and was working as a file clerk. Due to his min wage job, he was not liable for anything the first year and paid $500 a month for two children. He has since become self employed (working as a contractor to his employer) in order to avoid garnishment. Questions:
    1. Can I file against him in court on my own?
    2. What can I file for regarding co-pays stated in divorce agreement?
    3. Can I file against him since I moved to Canada?
    4. He is currently $3300 behind at $300 a month (amt dropped due to my second daughter turning 18)
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deb0725 View Post
    1. Can I file against him in court on my own?
    Certainly.

2. What can I file for regarding co-pays stated in divorce agreement?
    I'd start with a motion, in the original divorce case, for an order requiring him to pay. Practice may vary depending on what state the court is in (Texas, I guess), but something of that nature.

3. Can I file against him since I moved to Canada?
    Yes. You would file this in the Texas, of course, not Canada.

4. He is currently $3300 behind at $300 a month (amt dropped due to my second daughter turning 18)
    I don't see this as being a 4th question. ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 05:35 PM

I would think you have to take him back to family court in Texas to enforce that court order
    deb0725 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I would think you have to take him back to family court in Texas to enforce that court order
    If I take him to family court - is there a place I can locate the forms to follow through on it?

It seems since he is self employed and "hiding" everything possible at this time, he is almost untouchable. (those were the words used by the Texas State Attorney) They "requested" he bring documentation to their office and he never brought a thing. End of story.

Is there a walk through anywhere on what to file? Or can I contact the Family Law Court and get paperwork there?

AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 09:22 PM
    Is there a walk through anywhere on what to file? Or can I contact the Family Law Court and get paperwork there?
    Doesn't appear that there are a lot of forms online on the Texas court websites. The courts, I believe it would be the "district court" for the particular county, each has it's own website. I looked at one of the larger counties: Dallas, and didn't see a link to a bunch of forms. You might have to contact the clerk of court for the county where the case was originally filed, and see what they have, if anything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 07:03 PM

You make them prove incomes, prove how they pay for their home, their car, and so on.
    But often this is where you have to hire a PI to find all of their money and property

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can someone's private insurance sue,after my insurance settled with rentals insurer? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a accident in 2006 in California and I was at-fault. Woman at a red light turning right began to merge as she had plenty of time and space. She then stopped for some reason, as I began to attempt to merge looking over my left shoulder and saw a still safe opening I started to go and...

Half children [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im 27yrs old and have a child who is nearly 7yrs. When I got pregnant myself and my child's father had already split and but we remained friends that would bring my child up and get along. My ex partner moved out of the city we lived before the birth but was there for the birth and also was...

Sue a dentist that lied about insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HOM detest (CAPITATED PROGRAM). I have many serious dental problems that I have not had treated because my detest says my insurance does not cover them. I called my insurance and the nine procedures I needed were ALL covered in full. The detest even documented these false statements...

Not at fault, but no insurance, can I sue [ 7 Answers ]

I was in an accident in Ca. I was stopped at a 4 way stop, as it was my turn to go the person to my right did not stop and ran into me, the stop sign was down so he claims he didn't see it. Either way, I didn't have insurance, he had no insurance and a suspended licence, my car was totaled. I am...

Can I Sue someone who stole from me to recover my insurance deductable [ 2 Answers ]

We rented a storage locker to warehouse furniture and items from my parents estate. We received notice that there was a break-in at the locker. Our first assessment of the site indicates they took a computer.. stereo equipment... and smashed or broke high-end crystal and dinnerware. Our home...

View more questions Search