Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rasco847 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 10:15 AM
    2002 dodge intrepid 2.7 won't start
    Hi my name is omar. I recently have beeen having trouble w/my car starting, 1st it wouldn't start unless I tapped on the starter while someone turned the key, and it started, so I replaced the starter. The car started w/no problems for a couple of days now its doing the same thing and I still have to tap on it to get it to start. I checked the + cable from the battery to the starter it read 300ohms (it started high and came down to 300 and then the tester beeped. Is this OK?). There is a smaller brown wire from the solenoid on the starter and I have know idea where it goes? So can't test the wire for continuity. Is the new starter bad? Or is there common problem w/these cars I don't know about? Please help?

Sep 2, 2010, 10:19 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention that sometimes it does start, but when it doesn't and I turn the key I might get one click and after that every time I turn the key it does nothing, no click, the headlights don't dim or anything until I tap on the starter
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 11:34 AM

This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Sep 2, 2010, 04:18 PM

"When installing the starter cable, make sure that the crimped side of the ring terminal is facing out"

What does that mean "facing out" ?
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 05:03 PM

Towards the nut. Install smooth side first.

Sep 2, 2010, 07:32 PM

"1. If the starter motor doesn't turn, but the starter solenoid (relay) "clicks" when the ignition switch is turned to Start, the problem is with the battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor connections."

What if the relay doesn't click?
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 07:41 PM

Go through all the steps, including removing and charging the battery. Have you done that?

Sep 2, 2010, 07:57 PM

I'm at work right now, but I'm going to do it as soon as I get home (11pm central)

Really appreciate your help, Tx
    vicsacious Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Hi Omarr I have the same car 02 dodge intrepid se with a 2.7 motor! I've been experencing the same problem with my car, ( starting) I've been tole that its my gas filter needs changing, BUT the only thing with that is, the gas filter is located inside the fuel pump, which means that it all have to be replaced together... a very expensive job! You have to get the entire fuel sending unit... I hope I helped because this is what I was told from a expereinced mechanic from midas!! Good luck Omarr
    Jacovin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 01:49 PM
    Did anyone ever find an answer to this? I have the Same problem. I turn the key and... nothing. The lights, radio, etc all come on without a problem and they don't dim. But other than that... nothing.

Jan 29, 2013, 02:10 PM
    After all the issues I was having, after replacing starter, were a result of a poor connection off the + cable to starter. Once making sure there was good connection, the problem went away

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge Intrepid Motor [ 12 Answers ]

Anyone ever owned or a mechanical expert with dodge intrepids? Is it true that the engines are bad and that you can't change the timing chain. I have a 1999.:confused:

1996 Dodge Intrepid~ Doesn't start, single click [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I'm having some problems with my car- it's a 96 Intrepid, 3.3 L, V6 with 136k miles. I bought it last year, and it has some serious steering issues, but other than that it has always run well. A few weeks ago, it died in the store's parking lot (engine turned over but didn't catch). ...

2002 dodge won't start [ 8 Answers ]

To add some more info about the sercurity light flasing on my 02 dodge ram , the truck doesn't have a sercurity system in it that I know of it's just the light that's flashing on my dash bottom right little circle light just keeps flashing only when I try to start the truck . When I tried to...

2002 dodge security light flasing while trying to start [ 1 Answers ]

I posted a note about a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 about a week ago not starting after trying to install a remote starter. I took all the wires off that I installed to the truck after finding out that the truck wouldn't start. Now the trucks security light flashes when I try to start the truck and...

Thermostat dodge intrepid [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get to the thermostat on my 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES?

View more questions Search