Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Sep 2, 2010, 05:38 AM
    Finding where an exterior drain goes
    I need to do some drainage work around my house but first need to locate where several drains run. They may be partly responsible for my water problems, or helpful in my drainage solution.

I have a basement floor drain I cannot locate its final destination. An outside PVC pipe that my sump pump and gutters drain into. I also have an outside drain pipe that I cannot locate its source.

What things can I try myself? If I need a pro, who should I be calling for this type of work? What type of technology should I be asking for? What can I expect to pay?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 06:10 AM

The floor drain should empty into you sanitary sewer, just like everything else in you house.

The gutters and sump pump should drain to daylight, meaning that the water should come out of the ground somewhere. The technology needed to find out where, is a hose and logic. Since water flows down hill the place where it comes out must be lower than where it went in. Stick a hose in the pipe and start looking for water at places down hill from the location. It may take some time to see the water. Sometimes the gutter down spouts are piped with perforated pipe, meaning that some of the water leaks out of the pipe and is absorbed into the ground as it runs down the pipe. You will have a hard time reproducing the volume of water that comes off your roof with a hose but eventually you should see water flowing out somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace an exterior drain [ 4 Answers ]

I have an exterior drain in a stairwell that has broken out of the cement. It had a stand pipe. All I can find about 7" below the cement is a cast iron p-trap. and remnants of clay tile in the excavation of the dirt. The ID of the trap is 5" so I will have to nestle a short length of pipe and join...

I have an 80 year old house and the 4inch drain runs straight up the exterior wall no [ 0 Answers ]

I have an 80 year old house and the 4inch drain runs straight up the exterior wall not in it and it was boxed out.I would like to remove the boxout on the first and second floor. Is there any way I could cut the 4inch drain in the basement and reroute it into the exterior wall on the first and...

Finding Sewer Clean Out or Drain Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find the sewer drain pipe or clean out if there is one. Plumber says it will cost a lot less to install a clean out if I can find the drain pipe. The house was built in the late 70's on a cement slab. Are there any guidelines as to where I should be digging, or how deep the pipe...

AC exterior overflow drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have noticed that there is warm water streaming out of my outside overflow drain. I have not had my AC on for weeks, so why is warm water flowing from the drain on the exterior of the home? Thanks!

Supply and drain on exterior wall OK? (wisconsin winters... ) [ 2 Answers ]

Hey tom, thanks ahead of time for you're advice, :) What are your thoughts on placing supply and drains in an exterior wall. (knee wall in converted attic). I really don't have an alternative. The pipes being in the knee wall, I could always double up the wall and insulate the heck out of it. I...

View more questions Search