Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moreask Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 04:01 AM
    How to convert rainfall rate (kg m-2 s-1) to rainfall(mm)?
    How to convert rainfall rate (kg m-2 s-1) to rainfall(mm)?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 11:41 AM

Multiply the rate (given in Kg/m^2/s) by 1 to get the rainfall in terms of mm/s. Note that while your post asked for it in terms of mm, it actually converts to mm per second.

This is based on the following calculation: 1 Kg of water = 1 L volume = 1000 cm^3 volume. If you spread 1000 cm^3 over an area of 1 square meter, the water would be 0.1 cm deep, or 1 mm. Hence 1 Kg/m^2 is equivalent to 1 mm of depth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to test relationship between rainfall and pop densities for 3 different species? [ 0 Answers ]

I have just completed a component to an ongoing monitoring program and I'm confused about how to anaylyse the data that I've collected! The monitoring has been occurring intermittantly over the last 10 years in 2001, 2005, 2007 and now 2010. I have been collecting scats from 4 10x50m plots. I want...

When did accurate rainfall prediction become possible? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I am helping my son with a research paper. Need a year or time eriod when accurate rainfall prediction became possible - Thanks! Helen

Smell in house after rainfall [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I have a big problem, my wife and I bought our house 2 years ago and have been fighting with this problem since, within 2 months of living in our house, it rained about 1 inch or so, we came home and had an awful sewar smell in the house. We had plumbers come out several times over the next...

View more questions Search