Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martnjay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 03:42 AM
    Hippa laws
    How much medical information do I have to give to the company doctor, and what information of that or of a DOT physical can he give to my employer. Myself and others feel that the company is use this DOT physical to gain information on employees in order to hold them back, demote, or fire them. I work for a city government and we are not required by the DOT to carry medical cards. My personal doctor can and will do this as part of my wellness at no extra charge but when I take the paper work in to the office they said I had to go to their company doctor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2010, 06:00 AM

HIPAA protects you by prohibiting a medical care provider from revealing ANY information about your diagnosis and treatment to a 3rd party without authorization.

However, its very possible that there is language in your employment contract or handbook, that gives permission for the company doctor to provide information to your employer. You need to check whether that's the case.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 06:12 AM

Typically, if this is a doctor for the Department of Transportation (DOT) and you work for DOT, the doctor has the authority as well as the responsibility to report any illness that may interfere with your work.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 06:50 AM

Pssst. J_9
    DOT physicals are performed by designated doctors. Having a DOT physical is for CDL holders. All CDL holders do not work for the DOT but are subject to the rules of DOT to be on the road driving a vehicle.

The reason the DOT insists on the doctors on their list is because "personal doctors" may fudge on the testing or not include certain pertinent information the DOT designated doctor will include on the physical.

And as for the company supposedly using the information to deny advancement, etc within the company I think you're reaching here for something that does not exist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa laws [ 3 Answers ]

It is breaking any HIPPA laws if a office staff person attends a treament team meeting when we are discussing private medical information for a client?

Hippa laws [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a violation of hippa if a switchboard operator tells a customer that a manager is off due to surgery. I thought these laws were directed towards health care organizations.

Hippa Laws [ 2 Answers ]

It was recently brought to my attention that my manager discussed my mental health issues in front of another co worker and asst. manager. The asst. manager warned him of discussing my issues and was quoted as saying:eventually someone may find out about your constant releasing of personal and...

Workman comp and hippa laws [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was hurt pretty bad on his job at nso fault of his own. After waiting 3 months we finally were able to go to an orthopedic trama surgeon. While at the appointment, the case nurse was upset because she wasn't allowed to go into the exam room with my husband, the doctor and me. She told us...

View more questions Search