Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    county75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 08:47 PM
    Waterproofing Painted Cement Blocks
    I have cement blocks in my basement, which are painted.
    I started getting black spots on my paint.
    I scraped the paint, but there is white paint under it which I have not been able to remove.
    While scrapping, pieces of the white paint did come off which revealed small black spots in cement blocks.
    I did bleach the spots and filled in the holes in the wall, I don't get water in the basement and I have a dehumidifier in one corner of the basement.
    Wanting to know what would be my next step to waterproof the cement blocks.
    Would a Drylock paint be OK to put over the paint to spot the black spots of returning again and possible getting a other dehumidifier?
    CyFree Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Sep 7, 2010, 12:33 PM
    Just like the paint that is already flaking off any kind of waterproof coat will do the same.
    That is because they are not able to handle the hydrostatic pressure, which results from an over saturated soil around your foundations.

When that soil is over saturated the resulting pressure pushes water against the basement walls. Since the concrete is porous, the water infiltrates it and,given enough time and pressure, it will cause the coating to peel off.

So,you will need to reapply it, over and over.

A better alternative would be simply taking every step to prevent the ground around the foundation from becoming over saturated with water in the first place.

Cleaning or installing good working gutters and extending the downspouts is the first step.
    Grading the terrain as to slope away from the foundation is another thing that can be done to improve conditions in the basement.
    Ultimately, improving drainage with a good drainage and sump pump system, will help keep the basement dry on the long run.

Just more one consideration: If I understood correctly, mold is growing on the paint. That might indicate the presence of latex or other organic compound on the paint. Mold needs organic matter to feed on, so it might be a good idea to scrub off all the paint and just let the basement walls bare.

If you need to spruce up the walls a bit without going through a whole basement finishing project and expenses, consider acrylic wall panels, or insulated panels for added energy efficiency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waterproofing Deck [ 3 Answers ]

I am building a new deck with 5/4 x 6 ACQ treated lumber. I have three questions. How long do I need to wait to seal the deck? I want to use a clear sealer/waterproofer. What is a recommendation on a waterproofer? I have seen a CEDARSHIELD waterproofer that claims to be a lifetime sealer. ...

Use of appoxy cement for repair of cement cracks [ 0 Answers ]

Use of appoxy cement in cracks repairing

Cement blocks turning white [ 8 Answers ]

2 years ago I had a cement wall built and when spring came there where hugh white spots on the cement taking up about 50% of it. I called the contractor and he said it was curing. This year I have the same problem. I bought a corn broom and it will not come off with this. What is the cause and what...

I used pvc cement instead of all purpose cement [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced some old pipes with cpvc and then realized that the cement was not all purpose, just pvc. Will it hold?

Applying Redgard (waterproofing) to cement backer board [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions. (1) Do I need to tape the seems on the cement backer board or should I use caulking? (2) If the seems need to be taped, do I apply the Redgard before or after I tape the seems on the cement backer board? I will be applying slate over the top of the board to create a...

View more questions Search