Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amy112 Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2010, 04:20 PM
    Mean betta fish
    I have a new 10 gallon tank with 2 guppies, 1 clown loach, and a male betta fish. My betta is flaring his gills, and looks like he's trying to bite me if I turn on the light, or go up to the glass with the light on. I've had one previous betta before and never has done this. I'm really concerned he is scared or something.
    Please help me... and my fish!!
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 04:57 PM

To my understanding betas are not meant to be in with other fish. You should remove him and put him in a separate bowl.

Sep 1, 2010, 05:30 PM

I have now put him in another tank with tetras and plecos... is this OK?
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 05:34 PM

Our animal experts aren't on at the moment to answer you. They will be. Then they can properly answer you.

I use own betas, and I always kept them by themselves.

I would put him in a separate bowl until you get better advice.

Sep 1, 2010, 07:07 PM

Strange... ive always had them in tanks with other fish but he seems to be fine with the other tank curently
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 07:25 PM

They are an aggressive fish, ( although I understand a poor fighter ?) They are normally sold to be in tanks by themselves. I have always keep mine in their own tanks

http://www.aquariumguys.com/betta-fi...e-article.html

They can be put with some fish
    http://www.better-bettas.com/a/compa...h-bettas.shtml
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 11:31 PM

Male bettas will try to fight and kill any other fish with bright colors, especially ones with large tails.

Having them in a tank with other fish can really stress them out, sometimes to the point it can kill them.

If you can I'd separate him completely, they don't need huge tanks and if you keep a small tank in a warm room you don't even need a heater.

Really enjoyable fish, we used to hold a mirror up to the tank to get ours to flare up occasionally... sounds cruel yes, but it's actually good exercise for them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Betta fish and 100 degree water temp [ 3 Answers ]

We were on vacation and returned to find that we had a sudden heat wave and the Betta tank jumped to 100 degrees. The fish is on the bottom, with gills moving slowly. He has moved around the tank but just barely. The tank is now about 78 degrees. Will this fish recover?

Betta fish and tankmates [ 34 Answers ]

Hi, My old Betta fish recently died. I have an empty tank and I want to get a new one. The tank is a gallon. When I get my Betta, I want to get it a tankmate. I was thinking about getting a snail, but I also want to get it another fish friend. First, I know that Bettas are territorial, so...

What can betta fish live with? [ 2 Answers ]

I used to have a girl betta fish and she lived with other fish and people now are saying that bettas can't live with any other fish. If so, what can they live with because I feel bad having my soon to be betta living all alone. I'm getting it tomorrow!

Betta fish [ 1 Answers ]

Do betta fish really need an air pump in their tank/bowl? Can they just sit in still water? And if they are in s5till water, how often do you have to change the water??

GH/KH concern with new Betta [ 1 Answers ]

Hello :), I have a 6 gallon tank in my office with a PH of 7.2, and a GH and KH of about 53.7, (as far as I'm understanding on the API test kit.) I just got my Betta and plan to put him in his new home this evening; but I'm trying to figure out if my GH and KH levels are all right. Some of...

View more questions Search