Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Broken arm - no health insurance
    My girlfriend is visiting Canada - with plans to become a resident. Last week she broke her arm horseback riding. Her immigration status is still pending, so she does not have any health insurance in Canada...

The bill for the ambulance alone was $472.00, and the ER visit and follow ups with the Orthopedic surgeon are so far around $3000

I do not make a lot of money, and am going to end up bankrupt and or destitute very soon if I do not find some kind of financial assistance.

Any advice at all would be muchly appreciated.
    beachloverjohn Posts: 491, Reputation: 242

Sep 1, 2010, 01:59 PM

So are you in Canada also?

Sep 1, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Yes... I am

I am Canadian, so I have health coverage... for me

Sep 1, 2010, 02:52 PM

The reality of course is that you are not legally responsible for her medical bills. Am I correct in this, or are their some laws about sponsoring a visitor that I don't know about?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 03:01 PM

Does she have health insurance from where she was from ?

But so she owes, it happens 1000's of time a day here in the US, after she is well, she sets up a payment plan with them

Sep 1, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beachloverjohn View Post
    The reality of course is that you are not legally responsible for her medical bills. Am I correct in this, or are their some laws about sponsoring a visitor that I don't know about?
    I realize I am not legally responsible - on the technical level - but she is my fiancée, we co-habitate, and she is in the process of immigrating to canada.

The fact she does not work currently, and lives with me, I think is going to implicate me as sharing in the burden of paying her hospital bills?

Or are you telling me, that because she is not yet a resident, we simply ignore these bills?

Sep 1, 2010, 03:30 PM

I am not saying ignore the bills. But it seems she will have to make some sort of payment plan that she can afford. If you don't have the money then that's the only option she has. Of course, you want to take care of her, but these things happen that is nobodys fault.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 05:31 PM

First you living together does not make you anything but a sinner , ( LOL) sorry, it does not make you responsible for a penny of her debt.

I do understand as a loving partner you want to help her, so you can give her money for her to send to them over time, but you don't ever sign or agree to pay any of the debts.

And while you don't ignore them you can't go to jail for not paying, so you merely pay what you can, till you can arrange a payment plan with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

Broken shower arm at threads [ 4 Answers ]

I was changing out my shower head and gently using a wrench to tighten the new shower head. It was not tightening it very hard, but the shower arm broke off right at the threads. About 1/2 of the threads came off inside the new shower head female end. It was no problem to get those out, but now...

Water supply not fitting/shower arm broken [ 1 Answers ]

While trying to connect a new water supply line to a 1984 valve, neither the 1/2" nor the 3/8" will fit. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" INSIDE diameter supply line? Or an adapter we can use? Also, while changing out a shower arm, part of the screw on part broke inside the pipe. What can get...

Opinion on broken arm - no insurance [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, making a long story short. 3 kids with Ex-wife. She moved out of state (1000 miles away) before our divorce was final without my consent but a judge allowed her temporary relocation rights until the divorce was finalized. Each year I try to add our (out of state) kids to my insurance policy and...

View more questions Search