Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcovf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2010, 10:14 AM
    I would like to sell a rental house in Canada and buy another place also in Canada.
    I am 50, living in the US as a legal resident alien. I have a house in Canada that I have been renting out and would like to sell. I have never lived in the house, it was an investment. I have been paying Canadian real estate taxes on it and paying US taxes on rent collected, here in the US. I am Canadian living in the US as a resident alien - I am not a resident of Canada. I would like to sell the place in Canada - take the profits - and buy another place also in Canada with the money generated from the sale. All of the money would go into the new place. The time between the sell and purchase of the new place would be about a month. Will I have to pay capitol gains taxes if I take the profits (sold vs original purchase price) and use the money to buy another place?

Sep 1, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Part two - Sell a rental house in Canada and buy same in the US
    Synopsis: I am a 50 year old Canadian resident alien in the US and have a rental house in Canada and am interested in selling it and buying another place as a rental property.

My first thought was to buy another rental property in Canada but am also interested in the tax implications of selling the house in Canada ($250K profit anticipated) and buying a rental Condo in Florida for $250K. I would take the profits from the Canadian sale and invest in a new rental property in the US - time lapse between the sell & buy would be about a month. Please let me know if I would I be subject to capital gains tax or other US taxes if I was to make this happen. Thanks for your insight.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 09:40 PM
    You can defer the taxes by doing a 1031 exchange. This IS allowed on properties in a foreign country, but you need to find a company who will do the 10321 exchange transactions for you in Canada.

Search the Internet for ma company that will do the 1031 exchange work in Canada. There are multiple companies that handle these exchanges routinely in the United States, so I doubt it would be excessively difficult to find such a company for Canadian properties.

Sep 3, 2010, 09:22 AM

Thank you very much - this is very helpful information. I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2010, 06:21 AM
    Glad to help; contact me at [email protected] when it comes time to file your 2010 tax return.

Do NOT try to file that return yourself. Returns with a 1031 exchange has special requirements that requires professional attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Entry into Canada as a Felon and Canada land owner [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have recently been arrested for a drug related offense (my first arrest). I fully expect to get convicted of some sort of felony crime in the USA. I am a citizen of the USA and I am not a canadian citizen. I do own land in Canada and would like to access it. I have read all the laws...

Is it illegal to buy to buy a house from a friend then sell it back to her? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a friend that live in California that wants me to purchase her home and sell it back to her. She said a broker said she would save money. The purchase would be cash both ways. Also would I have problems with IRS she is giving me funds. Would they expect me to pay cash on it next year? ...

Birthday party tickets to sell in canada, am I under any laws and restrictions? [ 5 Answers ]

Birthday party tickets to sell in canada, ab. Am I under any laws and restrictions?

Privacy Rights in Rental Apartment in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the story. A renter, single, is in an apartment in a multi-apartment building. One of the other tenants complains to the property manager that when he passes this apartment, he smells marijuana smoke. According to the manager, they have the 'right' to call the police on this fellow...

Who knows a privat MRI place in canada? [ 1 Answers ]

Croqued cops in edmonton first got me hit with hammer so they could put a tracking and shocking device in my brain were a bone ript it and they knew it disable my rigth leg so now they did not tell me anywhere hospital etc I both a frquency detector and figerd that out when they were around I'm in...

View more questions Search