Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Sep 1, 2010, 05:30 AM
    What does it mean when you take a job that is
    I have been offered a job. Its not a temp job like I work for now with the state. Its not a state job at all. Now I'm reading the paperwork that they have and on one section it says that I'm not under a contract and that my employment is at will. Meaning they can fire me at any time for any reason. I don't think that's cool lol.

Has anyone ever worked for something similar to this? Please help!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 05:34 AM

Unless you are part of a union... then you are an "at will" employee. It's that way for everyone.

Sep 1, 2010, 05:41 AM

Oh OK, thanks smoothy. That gives me some relief now. I was starting to feel sick to my stomach
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    Oh ok, thanks smoothy. That gives me some relief now. I was starting to feel sick to my stomach
    Trust me... I know exactly what you were feeling. Its part of what is called "Right to work". Which has its good points and bad points.

But basically, any good employer will want to keep its good workers and get rid of the bad ones. And it allows them to get rid of the slackers that try to do as little as they can get away with. Anyone who has worked longer than a month has known people like I just described.

Yeah it can be abused... but typically the places that do aren't the nicest places to work anyway.

Sep 1, 2010, 08:19 AM

What do you mean by that? Not the nicest place to work? Are you saying that I shouldn't take this job because of that??

Do you work with a union?
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 08:47 AM
    What do you mean by that? Not the nicest place to work? Are you saying that I shouldn't take this job because of that???

Do you work with a union??
    Oh... you misunderstood what I was trying to say. What I meant was there are a few places that abuse the "At Will" thing. But those places really aren't nice to work for anyway. Most employers value their better employee's. The "at will" lets them get rid of the people that don't want to pull their own weight. Most places of employment are "At Will".

I've worked both Union and non-union "at will" jobs. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Sep 1, 2010, 11:20 AM

Oh OK, now that makes more sense to me! And that makes me feel much better knowing that.

I'm just SO nervous about switching jobs lol. I've been with the state in the temp clerical pool for 2 years. I have been looking for something permanent with benefits for SO long and don't seem to qualify for anything with the state. Its really hard. And with the economy, its not any better.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Oh ok, now that makes more sense to me!! And that makes me feel much better knowing that.

I'm just SO nervous about switching jobs lol. I've been with the state in the temp clerical pool for 2 years. I have been looking for something permanent with benefits for SO long and dont seem to qualify for anything with the state. Its really hard. And with the economy, its not any better.
    Being nervous when you change jobs... in a good or bad econy, is normal. Trust me there... I've had my gut in a knot every time I changed and did it like 6 times since college.

Sep 1, 2010, 11:30 AM

LOL... yeah well that is def how I am feeling right now. It's almost like I'm doing a bad thing.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 11:41 AM
    LOL... yeah well that is def how I am feeling right now. It's almost like I'm doing a bad thing.
    That's the fear of the unknown compared to the familiarity of the known.

At some point you have to look forward, but only remember the lessons learned from the past. Once you put in your notice... nothig would ever be the same even if you did back out. Because they will remember you did try to leave. Maybe less so since you were a temp... thats more true for full time permanent employees.

Sep 1, 2010, 12:04 PM

Yeah my supervisor here knows that eventually I'm going to go permanent somewhere else so they don't feel bad about it. I mean, my assignment here where I am now is over in November anyway. The temp agency would have sent me to another office in at the end of Novemeber anyway

And yes you are right about looking forward. That's the only way to get ahead.

Check this out, I applied for 2 state permanent jobs and don't you know that I got a email from both places saying that I don't qualify for the position I applied for or Im not in the next level classification? Been this way ever since.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between job analysis, job description and job specification? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between job description, job analysis and job specification?

10 diffrences in job descriptions job specifications and job evaluations [ 13 Answers ]

Find the points at least 10 of differences between job description,job specifications,job evaluation

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification? [ 2 Answers ]

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification?

Distinguish between job description,job specification and job rotation [ 1 Answers ]

Distinguish between job description,job specification and job rotation

View more questions Search