Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ub67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 25, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Replacing tub spout
    I have a slip-on spout where the diverter does not work anymore. It must either stay "up" for the shower or "down" for the tub. The diverter is on the spout. I removed the spout and took it to a hardware store to purchase a new one.

I followed the instructions and installed the new spout. I turn on the water and no leaks from the back (the wall). I pull on the diverter to switch to shower mode and it works fine except for a small amount of water "leaking" from the spout. I can live with that. The problem arises a few minutes later when there is a high screeching noise coming from the spout. As soon as I push down the diverter to return to tub mode, it stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ursula
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Dec 25, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Some of these spouts just work like that. If fact, many experts believe that this is because some people and manufacturers (and most safety engineers) want it that way.

If you look into the spout, you will notice the assembley. There is a round gasket between the spout and the white dealy of the diverter (the levler that you push down for the tub and pull up for the shower).

The only thing I can tell you is to return the spout and ask the hardware technicians to find a gasket that is larger. Or exchange it for another brand.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. PlumbingSupply.com, Tubspouts: Frequently Asked Question (Online: PlumbingSupply.com. 2006) http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tubspouts.html

Dec 26, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Thanks for your response.

I understand that the gasket would take care of the water that is leaking. Do you think that would also take care of the high-pitch noise?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Your noise is caused by vibration. Don't even mess with it. Return it and demand a replacement. Good luck, tom

Dec 26, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Thanks Tom. I will definitely do that. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tub spout [ 23 Answers ]

I replaced my bath faucet and now am struggling (to say the least) to get the tub spout to not leak. It is a brand new spout that come with the faucet. A delta faucet. I cannot get the spout to not leak. I did the directions to a T and for whatever reason the spout keeps leaking through the...

Tub spout dripping [ 5 Answers ]

My bath tup spout/faucet is dripping. What can I do about this? Thank You

Bath Tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

May sound simple to most of you but I'm having a hell of a time with this. The diverter on the bath tub spout lets half the water drian out of the spout and the other half comes out of the shower, I removed the spout and went to Lowe's home depot etc and they don't have one remotely close to this...

Need help replacing tub spout [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my husband and I are not the handiest people in the world. We needed to replace a tub spout with diverter, as water was not coming out of the shower head. We bought a universal tub spout with diverter, the kind with a thread screw and retainer ring. We followed the directions to a T, and...

View more questions Search