Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerseybred Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2010, 11:54 AM
    buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps
    I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour the house!! Seems like a nice house but of course I didn't do a home inspection on the spot. I called the trustee listed in the paper and he told me the starting bid on the house. My best uneducated guess estimates the starting bid at 75% of the house value. I would like to purchase this house by placing a bid at the steps of the courthouse. I was just wanting to know if this sounds like a good ideal, what issues I might face, if anybody has expierences with this sort of thing and advice to give. I am interested in this house as my own residence, not trying to make a profit, just want to buy a house I can afford. Thank you.

Aug 31, 2010, 11:57 AM

Some additional info: 10% down at time of auction with balance within 30 days. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2010, 12:07 PM

First, there will probably be other bidders. Second you have financing in place before you make a bid. Third 75% is not that great a bargain.

Aug 31, 2010, 12:19 PM

Yes, I have considered that other bidders might be there. I am not willing to overbid and they can have it, if that happens. I live in a rural area with very low unemployment so do not think there will be many if any other bidders, but we will see. Second, I can get financing. Third, I know 75% is not much of a deal but it is better than 100%. Has anybody ever done this? Is it difficult? In this market can I get a house cheaper than 75% of value?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2010, 12:34 PM

If you think the house is worth it, go for it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 06:33 PM

A couple things, first what is the actual value, have you compared it to those selling in the area.

Many houses are not even worth 1/2 of what they were 3 years ago. Esp in smaller depressed area towns. ( and the inner cityof major cities)

For example on a foreclosure, I bought one last year for less than 50,000 that sold 3 years earlier for over 150,000. Plus I was able to have a home inspect where I could have still backed out.

Next if it does not sale at 75 percent, what is the loan value of the home now ? It may go for less if no one buys it at this sell, or if no one bids at first and they have to lower the opening bids.

Sep 2, 2010, 12:58 PM
    The houses in my area were never really that overpriced to begin with and haven't come down in price much since the housing fall. The only thing different is that the houses are not moving but it seems sellers do not care because they are not willing to lower their prices much. I have been researching homes in my area that is why I think it is about 75% of value. I have considered waiting for the bank to buy it back at auction and then going through their REO realtor, the only problem I see is realtors around here have a tendency to buy these houses and then just sit on them. Wow, you did really good buying your house. Did you buy it at auction or through a realtor? Do you think they will lower the opening bid or will the bank just sell it as a REO, that seems to be how it is done here. I am leaning on going to the auction and see how things go. I would rather buy it through a realtor so I could do the home inspection, termite inspection and all that but just do not want to lose the house. I am also afraid it might have liens and so forth, but I am planning on going to the court house and looking at the deed. Is there anything else I need to look at or watch for? I read horror stories on the internet but surely there have been success stories also?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What steps should I take if I have a ghost in my house? [ 3 Answers ]

I recentley moved into a house and was told that an older lady had died in the home. I have been having weird experiences since I have moved in. Last night while sleeping I was woke up to all of the hairs on my body sticking up and an unexplainable feeling over me that I can't even explain. I felt...

CH.7 BANKRUPTCY  & Qualifying to Buying a house [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Expert: Hi, can you please tell me how long does CH. 7 bankruptcy lasts? I heard that if a person declare bankruptcy before 2000, then the length of time is 7 years. And after, 2000, it is 10 years. Is that correct? What happened was I declared bankruptcy in June, 1997, but was...

Buying house due to bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I want to buy a house due to bankruptcy. Iwas asked to register by sending 3% of the amount of the house, appear in court on Jan 17 and bid. If I win the bid, in 10 days they want the loan closed. It's no contingencies in any form so I need to gamble the inspection fee before bidding. If I win the...

View more questions Search