Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Algea in tank!
    I have a 30 gallon tank which has decided to grow some algea.. I have an algea eater but he is on the dumber side and won't eat the algea (He'd rather eat fish food).. I don't know what to do, does the stuff you put in the tank actually work? Will it harm my fish? My mom said to take out the heater, but won't that harm my fish (Guppies and Platy's)? I've wiped it off the front 3 times in the last week!. If it was a nice green color I'd just let it grow but is a gross orangy yellowy color!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 12:05 PM

I don't know about the platy's, but I have had guppies, lots of 'em. I never had a heater in there, just a light on the top. My friend who works at a pet store, says it's the light that actually grows the algae not the heater.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I don't know about the platy's, but I have had guppies, lots of 'em. I never had a heater in there, just a light on the top. My friend who works at a pet store, says it's the light that actually grows the algae not the heater.

Get another Algae eater and buy a little scraper brush at the pet store. Good luck bella. Do you have real plants or plastic plants?
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 12:11 PM

Hmm, I leave the lights on for about 8-9 hours a day, and it is recommended you leave them on for 8-10, hmm.

Also, Guppies are tropical and are supposed to have heated water. Maybe I'll turn off the lights for awhile and see what happends. My algea eater is a pleco, and I read that after they get bigger (5-6 in) they stop eating algea.. Mine is about 6 inches, so should I go buy a young one? Or will they not get along?
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Hmm, I leave the lights on for about 8-9 hours a day, and it is reccommended you leave them on for 8-10, hmm.

Also, Guppies are tropical and are supposed to have heated water. Maybe I'll turn off the lights for awhile and see what happends. My algea eater is a pleco, and I read that after they get bigger (5-6 in) they stop eating algea.. Mine is about 6 inches, so should I go buy a young one? Or will they not get along?
    See how turning off the lights work first.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 12:14 PM

The plants are plastic, I would definantly kill live ones.
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 12:16 PM
    The plants are plastic, I would definantly kill live ones.
    Good... I could and have been known to kill plastic ones:eek:
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 12:35 PM

Ha ha, My plastic one's are indestructible :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 08:29 AM

Algea eaters if they don't have ALGEA to eat, will eat fish food. They will then become lazy and not clean the tank.

Just scrub your tank. Don't even worry about the algea killers. Scrubbing the tank is more healthy anyway.

Scrub the tank, take out over half your water, fill it back up and add your water treatments.

Algea is a natural thing for fish. Its OK to have Algea.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 08:36 AM

If it wasn't such an ugly color I'd leave it, but it looks like someone puked in my tank, it's really gross.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 12:50 PM
    If it wasn't such an ugly color I'd leave it, but it looks like someone puked in my tank, it's really gross.
    Now I have that picture in my mind. Do fish puke?:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

With the power turned off to water tank, tank loses pressure fast [ 0 Answers ]

Foot valve has been replaced but now pump won't shut off all the time. When you turn power off tank loses pressure instantly.

Convert gas grill with 20-lb tank to connect with 100-lb bulk tank [ 1 Answers ]

Presently have a portable gas grill with 20-lb tank. Want to connect it to the 100-lb propane tank that also provides fuel for the fireplace. When they placed tank, a fitting was placed on the tank so that the grill could be connected. Have seen hoses for connecting natural gas - can the same...

Convert gas grill with 20-lb tank to connect with 100-lb bulk tank [ 0 Answers ]

How to convert gas grill running off 20-lb tank to run off 100-lb bulk propane gas tank

Pond algea [ 7 Answers ]

My pond is crystal clear now, I can see all the way to the bottom, but I still have algea clinging to the plant stems and pots, bricks, sides, etc... Is this what should be expected in a back yard liner pond? (12 years old) I'm thinking I need to keep sweeping stuff around so it gets...

This is about Cancer Cure by Blue Algea [ 5 Answers ]

Can you please tell me significance of blue algea in curing Cancer

View more questions Search