Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennyabigail90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2010, 08:37 AM
    If dad gets child custody does mom pay child support?
    My husband if paying child support for his 2 kids, but the mom is not taking care of the kids properly. They smell every time he visits them, one of them is really skinny and the doctor said that his wight is really low. She has not done anything about that, and there has been some other things. If my husband fights for the kids custody and gets it, would she be the one to pay child support if she has a job?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 08:39 AM

Yes... child support can and does go both ways.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 06:51 PM

Yes, and has to pay in many places if not working ( some states have a min required support)

Support is based in various ways depending on where, Here in GA it will take into consideration income of both parties, and the number of days each will have the kids, then a payment is figured from those numbers ( simplified version)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 07:33 PM

There are exceptions but generally the non-custodial parent pays support to the custodial parent. How much varies dramatically by jurisdiction as well as the particular circumstances in a given situation.

Your husband should get an attorney immediately. He needs advice to get his children out of a neglectful situation, and all the other questions, fears or apprehensions he has can also be addressed including financial.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyabigail90 View Post
    my husband if paying child support for his 2 kids, but the mom is not taking care of the kids properly. they smell everytime he visits them, one of them is really skinny and the doctor said that his wight is really low. she has not done anything about that, and there has been some other things. if my husband fights for the kids custody and gets it, would she be the one to pay child support if she has a job?
    You say the children smell when "he visits them," not when the children come to him - does he have overnight and/or unsupervised visitation?

You mention that one of the children has a low weight - did the doctor say it's a cause for concern? Do you think the child is being neglected and/or abused? My son weighs only a few pounds more than his sister who is two years younger than him, and he's thinner than her as well - that doesn't mean he's unhealthy; he just has a low body weight.

You stated that there are "other things" - would you mind sharing what they are? I'd just like to be positive that you actually have a decent case for a custody change so that you don't waste your time and money and accomplish only getting the mother ticked off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does my dad have to pay 18 years of child support for a child he didn't know about? [ 9 Answers ]

Okay, here is what happened... 19 years ago, my dad had a one night stand, and the girl moved away... She became pregnant, had the child, a girl, and did not tell my father. My father isn't even listed on the birth certificate, and he flat out did not know about his daughter for 18 years... On...

If live with kids and mom do you still need to pay child support? [ 9 Answers ]

Here's a question I've been wondering. I separated from babies mom for few months, but been back together living together for the past month or so, here's question, is it even required for me to pay child support if I'm living with them full time then?

Can my dad sue my mom for making him pay child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm really have been asking my father to take a D.N.A. test, is there anyway that my father could sue my mom for making him pay child support for the last 18 years?

Dad has kids now mom has never worked child support? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife of 13 years has found a Internet boyfriend and ran off to northern California hiding with our 4 young kids. After making a dumb mistake posting pictures on a web site I was able to get full temp. custody of them with no visitation. My question is since she was a stay at home mom for the...

Dad had custody for 12 years, now mom wants son and owes $40M in child support. [ 1 Answers ]

My x-wife gave up custody of my son to me 12 years ago by the time he was 1 1/2 years old. We married and divorced within a year. I have raised my son through very hard times without ANY help from her. I have 2 other children that I PAY CHILD SUPPORT and share custody. A child support order was...

View more questions Search