Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattcook Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 25, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Hot water re- circulation not working
    I had a loop added from the end of my hot water plumbing to the drain valve on my water heater many years ago. The system has worked great and I found I didn't need to use the pump to get the hot water to flow as gravity did the trick. I just had a new hot water heater installed and now the system is not working. Even when I turn the pump on I only get warm pipes with in a few feet of the pump which is about 4 feet from the drain valve on the bottom of the water heater. Any thoughts or ideas? We hooked the new water heater up just like the old. Thankyou- John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Have you unhooked the recirculating line and flushed it out? Sounds like you disturbed some mineral built up in the pipe walls and now it's blocking the line. Regards, tom

Dec 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Have you unhooked the recirculating line and flushed it out? Sounds like you disturbed some mineral built up in the pipe walls and now it's blocking the line. regards, tom
    I haven't yet but I guess I need to prove I have flow through the entire run. I have 2 older gate valves on each side of the pump and one had to be closed very tightly with channel locks to get water to not flow. I am thinking it may have stuck. I will try replacing them both with new ball valves and somehow flushing the system. Thanks- john

Dec 25, 2006, 08:17 PM
    The more I think about my problem the more I think that air is trapped in the last leg of the loop because there was no where to bleed the air off past the last open valve. I don't know if opening the valve that drains the water heater will bleed the loop or just allow water out of the heater tank. I will find out tomorrow. Thanks- john
    PaulC Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 05:04 AM
    Just opening the sink will bleed any air, sounds like the gate valve broke inside, I replace allot of them, always use a ball valve.
    What type of water heater is it? Gas, electric, oil?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2006, 05:51 AM
    "I don,t know if opening the valve that drains the water heater will bleed the loop or just allow water out of the heater tank. I will find out tomorrow."

If you were going to bleed air out of a line the boiler drain isn't the place to do it. Air raises and the drain is located at the bottom of the tank. If you were air locked opening up a faucet would bleed off any air in the line. I hold by my original statement and check that gate valve, regards, Tom

Dec 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    "I don,t know if opening the valve that drains the water heater will bleed the loop or just allow water out of the heater tank. I will find out tomorrow."

If you were gonna bleed air out of a line the boiler drain isn't the place to do it. Air raises and the drain is located at the bottom of the tank. If you were air locked opening up a faucet would bleed off any air in the line. I hold by my original statement and check that gate valve, regards, Tom
    I changed the gate valves out but they were working. I made a small adjustment and increased the water temp and that fixed the problem. I guess that the water needs to be hot enough to get movement in the system and on the lower setting it just wasn't enough. Now the system works great even without the pump.- Thanks for all your ideas.- John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No hot water to sink in bathroom, but hot water to everywhere else [ 3 Answers ]

When we turn on the hot water in our bathroom to our bath tub, it comes on fine; but, when we turn on our hot water to our sink in our bath room no water comes out at all! Our house is an older house, but the sink and the faucet are less than a year old. Any ideas? Thanks. Chris

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Replacing Hot Water Radiators with Hot Water Baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system with radiators, and I want to replace the radiators in the upstairs bathroom and bedrooms (2) with hot water baseboards. Can radiators and baseboards be mixed and if so, how do I determine the size of the baseboards?

Heating and hot water not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hi We have a relatively new boiler (I think - we moved into the house 6 months ago) and it has suddenly stopped heating. It makes all the right noises but I don't get any heating in the central heating system or any hot water. Can someone help?

View more questions Search