Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carmelpele Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Water leaking from behind kitchen wall sconces
    Our house is 2 years old, in Fargo ND. 2 sconces in the kitchen, on the west exterior wall leaked water from behind the fixtures, running down the wall last week. It did not rain that day or the day before. The roof is a 6/12 pitch with 2'8" overhangs. Siding is LP lap siding. Walls are 2x6 with Tyvek wrap, OSB sheathing, batt insulation, moisture barrier, and sheetrock. Does anyone have an idea where this water is coming from, and what to do about it? There is no other water leaking anywhere that we know of in our house.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 07:34 PM

What is above the kitchen?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 08:26 PM

Could anything cause condensation?

Cold fixture with a space above it being warm and having high humidity?

I can find a table of dew points, but you need the temp of the surface and the temp and humidity of the surrounding air.

Aug 31, 2010, 04:39 AM

Our house is a 1 story, so the only thing above the kitchen is the roof.

It rained last night and there was no dripping from the sconces.

It has been humid recently in Fargo. Our home has central air conditioning and we keep it at 76 degrees. This morning the humidity is 87%.

Our roof is insulated and also the soffits are ventilated.

Is this information helpful?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 04:59 AM

Well it doesn't sound like rain water but unless you have water pipes above, which I can't see in an exterior wall in ND, it has to be.

Perhaps it is rain water that some how gets in the wall but takes some time to leak out of the sconces. Remove the sconces temporarily to see if you get water during the next rain.

Aug 31, 2010, 05:29 AM

Thank you for the great suggestion!
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Sep 3, 2010, 05:50 PM

Do you have central air with an air handler/condenser in the attic?

Look for a clogged condensate line, overflowing drip pan, etc...

Sep 3, 2010, 06:10 PM

Thank you for the feedback. We have central air conditioning, and the unit is outside of the house. There is no part of the air conditioner in our roof.

Could it possibly be just condensation from the back of the sconce? It was a humid day, our air conditioning was on and it was set to 76 degrees.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 07:02 PM

If you use the LAMTEC Dew point calculator, a RH of 87% and a temp of 76 gives you a Dew Point of 74-75, very close to your air temp. However, I bet your output temp at a register is <70. Quite possible that you reached the dew point, particularly on a metal surface. In Atlanta, not uncommon to see water dripping off a supply register, particularly one near the fan. I have seen rust damage to some computer devices-key punch machines(tells you how old I am) when they powered down the computers over a 3 day holiday weekend and kept the air unregulated.

Sep 4, 2010, 06:23 AM

I think you may be right. I looked for the registers, and wouldn't you know it, there are registers in the floor directly below both sconces. Do you think it would make a difference if we did not turn on the sconces on really humid days?
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Sep 4, 2010, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carmelpele View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. We have central air conditioning, and the unit is outside of the house. There is no part of the air conditioner in our roof.

Could it possibly be just condensation from the back of the sconce? It was a humid day, our air conditioning was on and it was set to 76 degrees.
    While the AC condenser is outside the house, the air handler is normally in the attic. This is where the condensate pan and overflow drains are located. This could be the source of water and condensation.

You (or an HVAC professional) need to get up into the attic and investigate.

You will likley find this as the source of your water leak.

Sep 4, 2010, 07:04 AM

Thank you for your advice. I will talk to our HVAC people about it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking behind shower wall [ 3 Answers ]

Water is leaking to floor beneath upstairs shower below tub only when shower is in use. Diverter is not working properly. Removed diverter stem, can't really see any water damage around plumbing stems. Is it possible this bad diverter or stem can leak water inside wall as it is only when shower is...

Installing two wall sconces by using a ceiling light [ 3 Answers ]

I have a dark hallway which although there is a ceiling light Id like to add two wall sconces (already purchased)... what is the best way to do it? Id like to connect them to the ceiling light so that they all can share the same switch...

Water leaking through the wall to the outside [ 1 Answers ]

When I run a lot of water through my kitchen sink it drains into the carport I assume through the wall. I have looked under the sink and see nothing. I went outside and saw the puddle and was perplexed. My home sits on a cement slab. I don't want to tear out the cabinets or wall. How can I see...

Plumbing, water leaking from kitchen ceiling/wall [ 3 Answers ]

I have water coming down from kitchen ceiling (under bathroom) and the outside wall has a soaked through patch clearly visible at the bathroom floor level. The insurer's plumber says the job requires a 'dig out' - what does this mean? I understand I have a 'lead' pipe under the bathtub that may...

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box [ 2 Answers ]

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box Good day. I have two wall sconces that were wired to a common junction box where they obtained their source of power (SOP). They each have their own on and off switches on the light fixture. I wish to connect both wall sconces to a dimmer....

View more questions Search