Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tracys_75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 04:37 PM
    When I was young I was hit by a car, my mother has always told me we didn' t win the
    When I was young I was hit by a car, my mother has always told me we didn't win the settlement. I find that hard to believe. How can I find out if there was a settlement?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 05:52 PM

If it was settled out of court, the party that hit you would know, the insurance company that either settled or did not settle would know.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 05:54 PM

If you ran out in front of a car when you were little it most likely wouldn't lead to a settlement depending on who the courts determined as to who was at fault. If it was determined that the driver did his level best and your mom was neglegent then there would be nothing further.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 06:31 PM

It's not a matter of not winning an out-of-court settlement. If the person who hit you (or his insurance company) made an offer, either your parents accepted it or they didn't. If they didn't, they would have had to sue or decide the couldn't win and not sue. If they did sue the court would have a record of what came of it.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Aug 31, 2010, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    If you ran out in front of a car when you were little it most likely wouldnt lead to a settlement depending on who the courts determined as to who was at fault. If it was determined that the driver did his level best and your mom was neglegent then there would be nothing further.
    I don't see where he said he "ran out in front" of a car? He said that a car struck him. When dealing with a pedestrian knockdown, the odds are extremely low that at least a portion of liability would not be on the driver. (the implications of that depend on the jurisdiction) Additionally, you ar enot permitted to impute parental negligence onto the child in most jurisdictions.

To answer the OPs question, if your mother said you "lost" ask her what court the case was brought in. All you have to do after that is go online, or to the courthouse and search the records for that year.

I doubt that your mother is hiding a settlement from you as most courts require judicial approval of any settlement involving an infant. Such approval usually entails placing the funds in trust for the infant until he reaches the age of majority.

It is posible that you live in a jurisdiction where some degree of comparative fault precludes recovery and did indeed lose. But the easiest way to find out is going to the courthouse and pulling the file.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoutshu View Post
    I don't see where he said he "ran out in front" of a car? He said that a car struck him. When dealing with a pedestrain knockdown, the odds are extremely low that at least a portion of liability would not be on the driver. (the implications of that depend on the jurisdiction) Additionally, you ar enot permitted to impute parental negligence onto the child in most jurisdictions.

To answer the OPs question, if your mother said you "lost" ask her what court the case was brought in. All you have to do after that is go online, or to the courthouse and search the records for that year.

I doubt that your mother is hiding a settlement from you as most courts require judicial approval of any settlement involving an infant. Such approval usually entails placing the funds in trust for the infant until he reaches the age of majority.

It is posible that you live in a jurisdiction where some degree of comparative fault precludes recovery and did indeed lose. But the easiest way to find out is going to the courthouse and pulling the file.

The answer I gave was accurate per the example I was giving. The fact that the OP was stating being hit by a car can take on many examples. But not all of them lead to a settlement in the OP's favor. Children have and do run out in front of cars every day. Its just one of many examples.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoutshu View Post
    You said that the Court would consider the mother's negligence in assessing fault. That is flat out wrong.
    Seems like it. But you're getting far afield. All the OP needs to know right now is if there was or was not a "settlement". Let's focus here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 1, 2010, 08:32 AM

I don't want to close this thread because the OP may have some follow-up. But I will not allow this to get into a fight.

Califdad was proposing a possibility to the OP. Everything else that went on after that was inappropriate. End of story.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I hit one car in the parking lot when I am reversing my car [ 6 Answers ]

The other car got some scratches at bumper and tail light got damgaed only so my question is that does it affect my pubilc record and what type of point will I get,does it required any police report for claims?

A lady hit my parked car and lied about it I did not see her hit it [ 4 Answers ]

A lady hit my parked car and lied about it I did not see her hit it but she told me she did

We were hit by a car and pushed into another car. Whose at fault? [ 4 Answers ]

We were hit by a car and pushed into another lane and hit a car, the police report states this and the officer said it was not our fault, but the lady we hit ,insurance is coming after us. Can we fight this or do we have to pay for it. We live in TN.

Car was hit by another car when reversed from the parking lot [ 19 Answers ]

My car was parked on one-side of parking lot with one-way aisle. When I reversed my car to the middle of the aisle, I stopped there as I found a car from the parking lot behind my car rapidly reversed and hit on my car. My car was damaged with a deep dent and caused problem with the light-signal...

Mother told me she never wants to see me again [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 29 year old happily married women with an 18 month old son. My whole life I bumped heads with my mother. She has said things and done things that are unforgivable. Her and my father divorced when I was only 2 years old, she then married my stepfather and they had a son together. I have a...

View more questions Search