Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fiero Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 08:46 PM
    Joining the Army (Enlisted vs. Officer)
    I am 32 years old and I will be joining the Army. I have a graduate degree, and I am trying to figure out if I should apply for OCS, or if I should enlist then apply for OCS. My concern is the cutoff for OCS is 35, and I am not sure what the time frame is once I get in.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 12, 2010, 05:10 PM

What exactly are you trying to find out? I served in both officer and enlisted capacities, but I can't help if you don't specify your question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2010, 05:33 PM

A lot more pay and better working conditions, why would anyone want to go in at the bottom
    fiero Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 05:42 PM

Stg, thanks for the reply.

I went to speak with one of my local recruiters. He did not have a lot of information on officer but I feel gave me a lot of good information to start. He did however tell me slot more about the enlisted side and how if I started that route I could switch submit my packet for OCS. The loan repayment would be great for my graduate degree, but I am concerned there is a timeframe from enlisted to officer that I may not be aware about. Since the cutoff is 35 I do not want to push. I want to be a officer with the Army, just was not sure if I wanted to try enlisted since they had the loan repayment program.
    What type of officer were you in the army? Being that the recruiters do not know a lot about OCS do you know of another way I can talk to someone in the Army specifically about being an officer. I found OCS website and sent them an e-mail last week. I just wanted to see if there are recruiting officer setup to talk with external officer candidates.
    Thanks for your time.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
    I was a chemical officer, but that was under the branch detail program. When the detail ended, I went to my "home" branch - Quartermaster. I never once worked in a QM role, though. Given my enlisted service as an 88M10/88M20 (motor transport operator), my battalion commander assigned me to a transportation unit.

I would normally suggest going enlisted, then officer. It makes you a better officer. The main reason is that your BS filter is so very much better... and that's speaking from direct experience with dozens of examples readily available. However, given your age, I'd suggest going the officer route directly.

Otherwise, you'll be stuck as a junior EM for a number of years. You'll feel your talents and education are wasted... because they will be.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2010, 08:15 PM

Hello f:

Officers ISSUE orders. Enlisted people carry them out. Seems to me like you MUST have thought about management before, having attained a graduate degree. But, maybe you're just a technical guy and don't want to run anything... I don't know.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical history and joining army [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to MEPS Friday. I had a hernia when I was two years old and I got my wisdom teeth out 2 weeks ago. My recruiter is telling me not to tell the people at MEPS and tell them no I never have had a surgery. Neither of the surgery's are bad. A baby hernia is nothing serious and nothing...

Joining the Army under the age of 18 [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a child from his previous marriage. He has joing custody. He lives with his mother and myhusband pays child support. The child is 17. He told us the other day that he wants to drop out of High School and joing the Army. I want to know 1) if he can do this at the age of 17 - does...

Marine officer or enlisted man? [ 7 Answers ]

I need some advice from people who are not connected with just a recruitment office. My son is graduating in a few weeks from college with a degree in Arabic and Middle Eastern Politics. He studied in Egypt at the American University in Cairo, and worked in Morocco for a SUNY program in the...

Reduction in child support at 18 and enlisted in service [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter has graduated tonight. I am paying support for two children. I understand that I can petition the court to reduce the child support. Louisiana law does not provide for college education plus I have found out that she has enlisted in the navy as well. My wages are garnished so I know...

How to collect child support from an enlisted Marine [ 4 Answers ]

I am needing to know how to establish child support for my daughter. Her father is currently a Master Gunnery Sgt in the Marine Corps currrently stationed in our home town of Chicago. He is not cooperative in areas of financial support or physically assisting with the responsibilities of being a...

View more questions Search