Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    splitrimz Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Electrical Service Panel question, help please
    My house electrical service panel (38 years old) that is divided into an upper section and a lower section. The upper section is fed from the Extermal Meter box which passes through conduit to the service panel. There is NO breaker or switch in the meter box that I can see.

The service panel has an upper section, fed with two phase from the meter. It has the Range Breaker, a 20 amp single blade to lighting and the Sub Panel Main in the upper half. The Lower half, fed by the Sub Panel Main, has all the rest of the breakers. Turning off the sub panel main removes all power from the lower section.

My problem is that the sub panel main is tired from years of tripping and I need to replace it. However I cannot remove power from it because it is fed by the upper panel which is continually hot.

How do I remove power from the entire panel, is the meter removable, or do I have to call the local power company to turn off the breaker somewhere else in the neighborhood? It is an underground feed to the meter.

It just doesn't seem right that I cannot kill the power to the entire service panel. Am I probably looking at a service fee to kill that power?

Thanks for any advice.
    Splitrimz
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 04:45 PM

The Meter is removable and Power Company will need to be called, I know 1 person who does this Live, with no load, That is a little extreme and would not attempt.

Aug 29, 2010, 05:04 PM

Thanks, that is what I suspected. I also thought of the live replacement but will examine what the city would charge to pull the meter. Thanks Again for commenting.

Splitrimz
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 05:38 PM

If you don't do this on a regular basis, don't risk it. Electricity kills.
    Good Luck.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 29, 2010, 05:50 PM

That is a split buss panel.
    You should be able to turn the lighting main breaker off (Sub Panel Main), then continue pushing the handle toward the outer edge of the panel. That should disconnect it from the buss bar. Then unhook or pull it out from the mounting rail.

In other words remove it just like you would remove the breaker for the range.

Aug 29, 2010, 06:26 PM

I can get it out of the panel OK, the catch is that the wires are hot. It is fed through two heavy gauge wires from the top panel and feeds the lower half of panel through the prongs.

The trick, which I fully understand, is to unscrew each hot wire and screw it in the new breaker. The weak link is the screwdriver. This is of course with no load on anything.

Thanks, Splitrimz

Aug 29, 2010, 06:28 PM

For the record, these are slim breakers, 40C type.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 29, 2010, 07:04 PM

I am assuming that the breakers are in the upper buss and the wires are attached to the lower buss.

How about a picture? A lot doesn't sound right here.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 07:43 AM

If you have a "MLO" split bus main service panel as I do, then the lower section of the panel is fed from the upper section.

This type of panel uses the upper breakers to feed the lower section.

Also, its design is poor and is a good source for fires.

Calling the city will only get you information on permits and inspections. The will not pull the meter or do any electrical work.

Call your power company, they will remove the meter and re-install it after the work has been inspected and approved by the city inspector.

My best suggestion would be to have the complete panel changed out and if you have the funds available, upgrade to 200 amp.

Have this work done by a licensed electrician, please do not try to do it yourself.

Aug 30, 2010, 07:57 AM

I hear all the good advice. Can someone give me a ballpark figure for a licensed electrician to replace the panel?

Aug 30, 2010, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    I am assuming that the breakers are in the upper buss and the wires are attached to the lower buss.

How about a picture? A lot doesn't sound right here.
    I just realized that I mis-spoke in my original description. I'll take a photo and also a photo of the diagram on the box lid. The diagram is in rough shape but it does show the Main that I am speaking.

The part I mis=spoke on is that the Sub Panel Main is a dual pole 50amp breaker in the lower panel, fed with two fairly good size wires (about 1/4 " diameter) from the upper section. When I kill this "Main" breaker, it removes power from the lower half, but the two wires are still hot. Thanks for making me re-evaluate my original statement.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 09:13 AM
    In response to this request,

Quote Originally Posted by splitrimz View Post
    I hear all the good advice. Can someone give me a ballpark figure for a licensed electrician to replace the panel?
    See this thread:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...rk-345486.html

Aug 31, 2010, 07:46 PM

Took a photo of panel diagram. It is located at
    http://www.schoolbusgifts.com/cktpaneldiagram.jpg
    Will someone please advise me the proper terminology for this box so I talk to an electrician? Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 02:46 AM
    The panel you have is called a split bus panel. They where popular years ago, for the life of me I do not know why. Could be that panels were set up as "power" and lighting".

You do not need a split bus panel any longer.

Call three local electrical contractors for a price to upgrade your service. While a 100 amp service may be sufficient, changing to a 200 Amp will give more capacity for any future load and add value to the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Service Panel [ 1 Answers ]

Can I install a 200 amp service panel and keep using the 125 amp meter base if I will not be using all of the 200 amps from the service panel? We only installed the 200 amp service panel for future addition.

How to count capacity of electrical service panel? [ 16 Answers ]

The electrical service panel in my house is physically full. It is a 125amp panel. I'd like to know if additional amperage can be added. How do I count the capacity of the panel? Thanks:confused:

Electrical Service panel new construction [ 1 Answers ]

Electrical service panel - new construction - . My garage is nearer southern Cal edison therefore I would lkie to install a 400 amp service at the garage, I need 100 amps for the garage and 300 amps for the house. (house is an additional 100 feet from garage) How do I best accomplish this? Thank...

Question about an electrical panel [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the plannnig stage of a basement remodel. I checked the breaker box and found that I have 2 circuits currently in the basement. One is for 8 overhead lights and one is for 4 GFI outlets located around the basement. My question is, there are 5 open slots in the panel that I could use...

View more questions Search