Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marilyn2911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 12:09 PM
    Bulging ceiling
    Have recently had a loft extension done (by a reputable company) and have noticed that we now have several bulging lines running across the ceiling in one of the bedrooms below. The other bedroom doesn't have any bulges but quite a few cracks. When I say bulge I just mean a slight roundness rather than anything really huge. But it's certainly noticeable.

Our property is edwardian and has the traditional lathe and plaster ceiling. I believe that having floorboards put down above can weaken such a structure and am keen to receive any advice from anyone who has experienced a similar problem. I have spoken to my builder and he's going to come and have a look but I want to be armed with information/advice so that I can ensure that I get the right response from him.

Thanks
    marilyn2911
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2010, 02:25 PM
    It could be that the floor joists were not 'up to date' enough and had settled,upon which the new floorboards made them compress and cause the ceiling to crack and dip.. but this is total speculation..

Perhaps some pictures how it is now?And then with what he says we can take it from there?

One more thing, were there any floorboards in this loft before?What exactly did they do for this extension?
    marilyn2911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 03:09 AM

I believe there were boards down up there already. Re photos - have taken some but it's hard to see properly. I guess the logical thing to do is wait and see what the builder say. But thanks anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten with swollen bulging eye [ 8 Answers ]

Poor little kitten looks like his left eye is turned inside out and bulging from his little face. I have cleaned it with saline eye solution, what can I do? >Moved from Forum Help<

Eye bulging [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I'm new here.. and I have a question Two year ago I noticed that my right eye has bulged out. And when I look in the mirror my eyes don't look even anymore, the one that has bulged out looks lower. It looks like my eye is open more than the other eye. I went to the eye...

Cure for bulging disk [ 4 Answers ]

Any succesfull cure for bulging disks

Bulging eye [ 2 Answers ]

Hi this is erika, I have notice both of my eyes are bulging out abit. And people say that when I sleep I don't close my eyes proplery. Even when I cry a lot I get headaches or like a throbing pain at the back of both of my eyes. I wonder what is the caused of it and if there is a prevention to...

Bulging Disc [ 3 Answers ]

Need info on alternatives to invasive surgery.

View more questions Search