Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 09:31 AM
    The "elite" & the crisis in the classroom
    Hello:

When Sarah Palin refers to the "elite", who is she talking about? I think she's talking about EDUCATED people. When she refers to her constituency as people with "common sense", who is she talking about? I think she's talking about UNEDUCATED people.

Consequently the UNEDUCATED appear to be a constituency whose leaders are INTENT on keeping them that way. How do they do this?? Simply by keeping science and civics OUT of the classroom and bringing religion in.

You can argue with me by telling me this ISN'T happening. But, of course, it is. In fact, I believe the dumbing down of America is PURPOSEFUL. You?

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2010, 12:03 PM

Wrong premise . When she speaks of the elites ,she speaks of progressive,liberal ,Washington DC ,or Hollywood elites. She is not referring to their level of education.

It is these "elites" she is referring to who think the people who do things like attend tea party rallies or oppose the progressive agenda are the uneducated ya-hoos.

They even wrote a book about the stupid people who don't see things their way.
    'What's the Matter with Kansas?' tries to explain the ignorant folks who ,according to the author vote ,against their own self interest .
    The elite progressives creamed when they read this because it affirmed all their misconceptions about the people in "flyover country".
    It was on the bible of the elites ;the NY Slimes best seller's list for 18 weeks .

Like you ,the author of this book presumes that the unwashed masses are led like sheeple because they are too stupid to weigh the benefits of the opposing positions and come to conclusions on their own.

The obvious flaws in your thesis is that overwhelmingly the poorer less educated people of this country tend to support the liberals agenda of a government nanny-state.It is the progressives who have a stake in keeping the poor and uneducated ignorant. It is this group that they count on as a voting block.

Further ,the underlying assumption that it is manipulation of social issues that keeps us dummies stirred up is false. The tea party movement has been almost totally an economic revolt against a government that thinks everyone has a bottomless pocket.It is resistance to the expansion of government power, and intrusiveness.It is the national debt fueled by out of control spending that has fueled this movement.

And how have the "elites " those people you think are educated responded ? They are contemptuous of people who disagree with them . Tea party supporters are called tea-baggers .A legitimate grass roots movement is disparaged as "astro-turf". We are racists for not going along with the radical agenda of the President. We are nativists because we think the government should control illegal immigration . We are homophobic for opposing a radical redefinition of marriage .And now our phobias have extended to Muslims because we think it's a bad idea to build a towering mosque over the WTC site .

We the "bitter clingers" (Obama's words to a gathering of wine and brie "educated elites "in San Fran) are a bunch of Know-nothings according to Timothy Egan of the NY Slimes.

It is the progressives in this country who think that the masses are insecure bitter clinging intolerant bigots who need to be governed by an aristocracy of educated(leftist) elites.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2010, 12:46 PM

Now for the crisis in the class room. The real crisis in the class room is the system that has been constructed to manage the class room... not the subject matter . If you have any proof that conservatives do not want science taught or even better civics I'd like to see it produced.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

When Sarah Palin refers to the "elite", who is she talking about? I think she's talking about EDUCATED people. When she refers to her constituency as people with "common sense", who is she talking about? I think she's talking about UNEDUCATED people.

Consequently the UNEDUCATED appear to be a constituency whose leaders are INTENT on keeping them that way. How do they do this??? Simply by keeping science and civics OUT of the classroom and bringing religion in.

You can argue with me by telling me this ISN'T happening. But, of course, it is. In fact, I believe the dumbing down of America is PURPOSEFUL. You?

excon
    Your argument begins with the premise that the people weren't dumb in the first place. Teaching Christianity in the classroom doesn't make you dumb, some of the smartest people in the world have believed in God, what is dumb is a belief in science when it continually fails us with half baked explanations which are later overturned. What I have said for a long time, ex, is it's hard to find someone with below average intelligence yet they must live somewhere, could it be they all live in the same place?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 29, 2010, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Your argument begins with the premise that the people wern't dumb in the first place. Teaching Christianity in the classroom doesn't make you dumb, some of the smartest people in the world have believed in God, what is dumb is a belief in science when it continually fails us with half baked explanations which are later overturned. What I have said for a long time, ex, is it's hard to find someone with below average intelligence yet they must live somewhere, could it be they all live in the same place?
    Check your local trailer park ;)
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2010, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Check your local trailer park ;)
    Don't have them in the same way you do but we do have a whole northern section that ain't doing much
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 09:13 AM

Hello again,

On my local TV, there's currently a commercial running that's paid for by The American Petroleum Institute. It features some really DUMB people saying they shouldn't raise taxes on the oil company's. I'll bet you've seen it.

I'm not talking about just dull people. I'm talking about REALLY DUMB ones. It's also no accident that they have southern drawls too. At least the corporations know WHO to appeal to.

I also think they have something to do with MAKING 'em that way. You? Not so much.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 10:31 AM

You see them as really dumb . I call them working people. They think that raising taxes that will be added on to prices they pay is a bad idea. The really smart people think a windmill will fuel their cars.

Btw . What the government has to do is look at where subsidies are being granted. What is the point in raising taxes when subsidies are being granted to the same industry ? But I guess those really smart people in Congress know what they are doing too.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 11:25 AM

I was going to offer an answer but tom pretty much said it all in post no. 2.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The obvious flaws in your thesis is that overwhelmingly the poorer less educated people of this country tend to support the liberals agenda of a government nanny-state.It is the progressives who have a stake in keeping the poor and uneducated ignorant.
    [citation needed]
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 11:57 AM

I'll give a citation when the assumptions in the op are sourced..
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 12:09 PM

Hello tom:

When you're the FIRST one to discover a problem, there AIN'T no source stuff.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 01:22 PM
    Here is the socio-economic breakdown for the 2008 cycle:

Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 01:30 PM

Hello steve:

I didn't say dumb people were poor. They're just dumb. I don't mean ignorant, either. I was ignorant once, until I decided to cure that deficiency. Dumb people don't even know they're dumb.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 01:51 PM
    I didn't say dumb people were poor. They're just dumb. I don't mean ignorant, either. I was ignorant once, until I decided to cure that deficiency. Dumb people don't even know they're dumb.
    Tom said: The obvious flaws in your thesis is that overwhelmingly the poorer less educated people of this country tend to support the liberals agenda of a government nanny-state.It is the progressives who have a stake in keeping the poor and uneducated ignorant.

NK said: [citation needed]

You said: When you're the FIRST one to discover a problem, there AIN'T no source stuff.

I merely provided a citation. Of course it doesn't provide education details but typically, poorer people are less educated wouldn't you agree?

You think "the UNEDUCATED appear to be a constituency whose leaders are INTENT on keeping them that way." You then ask, "How do they do this???"

Since the poor overwhelmingly vote Democratic, and the poor are generally less educated, it would seem the Democrat elites want to keep that constituency dumbed down. How do they do that? By keeping them dependent on the nanny state and dumbing down education.

It ain't conservatives that run the public schools in this country, and it ain't conservatives that run the vast majority of colleges and universities in this country. So I'd say your logic is not just a little but entirely flawed on this one, ex.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Tom said: The obvious flaws in your thesis is that overwhelmingly the poorer less educated people of this country tend to support the liberals agenda of a government nanny-state.
    Hello again, Steve:

Yeah, that's what tom said. I said something different. The poor that he's talking about is a much different constituency, than the uneducated that I'm talking about. Yeah, the poor tend to be uneducated - true. But, there is a HUGE segment of the population that ISN'T poor, yet remain uneducated... That's who I'm talking about.

For example, civics. If this segment of the population understood CIVICS, this whole thing about the mosque wouldn't amount to a hill of beans... I mean, if you understood civics, wouldn't you want to support the American way? Wouldn't you be against torture? Wouldn't you be for the freedom of all people?

I think you would. Or, do I misunderstand what we're about? Nahh. I don't misunderstand... At one time WE were the beacon of civil rights in the world. That was an HONOR we could claim... We lost it, and haven't reclaimed it, no matter what Beck says. If you understand civics, how can you let torturers off the hook?

excon
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 02:41 PM

Hi, Ex:

You're absolutely right. The leaders of the uneducated are trying to keep them that way by keeping science and civics out of the classroom. The Feudalist Liberals have been eradicating the sciences, including political science, from public education since the 70s. One could argue it started with Benjamin Spock in the 50s but took awhile to get going.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    The Feudalist Liberals have been eradicating the sciences, including political science, from public education since the 70s.
    What? Isn't the conservative fundies that want that?
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 04:25 PM
    Yeah, that's what tom said. I said something different. The poor that he's talking about is a much different constituency, than the uneducated that I'm talking about. Yeah, the poor tend to be uneducated - true. But, there is a HUGE segment of the population that ISN'T poor, yet remain uneducated... That's who I'm talking about.
    Both are products of the elitist liberals that tom, catsmine and Palin are referring to. The liberal elite is responsible for the nanny statism that keeps the poor enslave, and for the state of education in this country. You know darn well who is in control of education in this country and it ain't conservatives.

You have Deemocrats in control of both houses and the WH, and this is just one more argument you're losing so your trying to turn the tables on us for the mess the left has created. It won't work, the people are not fooled any longer and that's what has you riled.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 01:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    What? Isn't the conservative fundies that want that?
    Who wants what is not my point. It is happening so the ones in charge of the school curriculum for half a century must be the ones who desire it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite HE 4t "F 02" and "Suds" error [ 11 Answers ]

I have an Elite He 4T frontloading washing machine, it is almost 3 years old - no more warranty! It has been giving me the F 02 error code, which is "Drain Problem". There are no items in the drain on the inside of the machine, I tookoff the hose it is clear. I stuck a wire hanger down the opening...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Automatic Transmission "2" & "3" [ 9 Answers ]

2002 Ford Explorer. If I put it in "3" instead of Drive, it's in 3rd even from startup. Is this normal? I was thinking that if I have it in 3rd, then 3rd would be the maximum... that is, that it would start in 1, then go to 2 and 3 but not higher. Thanks!

View more questions Search