Ask
    cheetta54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 11:56 PM
    What is a tempering valve
    What is a tempering valve
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2010, 08:07 AM

To temper hot water you open up the cold water side until the desired temperature is reached.
    A tempering valve is the valve that feeds cold water to your bath when it's too hot. Regards, Tom
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Aug 29, 2010, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetta54 View Post
    what is a tempering valve
    There are several kinds of tempering valves for a number of different applications:

A tempering valve can be installed on a indirect fired HW storage tank (in combination domestic/hydronic heating systems) to reduce the temperature of the stored domestic water -- This is accomplished by mixing cold domestic water with overly hot water to bring the water temperature down to more manageable temperatures for domestic use.

A point of use tempering valve can also be installed on a lavatory or hand sink as an anti-scald device -- Usually in commercial applications where the domestic water must be at a higher temperature for dish washing and glass washing machines.

And some of the more stringent Plumbing Codes require tempering valves when non-pressure balanced tub or shower valves are installed or when two handled valve sets are used in deck mounted tub installations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B&S 14HP OHV intake valve/ worn cam lobe or tappet valve? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I've scoured the postings and found many people with similar problems but only 1 or 2 with identical problems to mine. I have a Toro Timecutter 14-38Z (model 74301 serial 230004085) zero turn mower with a Briggs %26 Stratton 14HP OHV engine (model 280H07-0166-E1) and it only has about 120 hours...

Cold water pressure relief valve leaking, not the TRP valve [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. Cold water pressure relief valve start to drip water through the drain pipe. I replaced it with a new one but it is also dripping water. I have reduced water pressure in the house to the minimum by turning main water supply valve but it still leaking. Thanks for your help.

Can I solder outlet side of a ball valve if the valve is closed and under pressure? [ 0 Answers ]

Can I solder outlet side of a ball valve if the valve is closed and under pressure?

Leaking tempering valve [ 0 Answers ]

Cold water leaking from hot water cylinder overflow pipe

What replacement valve cartridge is best for theMoen 620 shower valve? [ 0 Answers ]

What is the best replacement valve cartridge for the Moen 620 shower valve?

View more questions Search