Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Monterey68 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Not Cool Canyon College... Not cool
    Can anybody tell me if I have a case against canyon college. I spent around 4k getting my BS, now that I'm 2 classes away, A) I found out they were a scam, B) They decided suddenly to no longer offer my major 3) nobody wants to talk to me anymore, they ignore my emails or refer me to others... come on, they can do that to students and get away with it, it has to be some accountability...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 02:16 PM

Were they an accedited school when you started? Did they lose that?

Aug 28, 2010, 02:21 PM

They were not recognized by the board of education
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 02:34 PM

Their website seems to be down at this time.
    Canyon College - US

Do you have any contact numbers for them ? If you do try calling them to find out what is going on.
    CanyonCollege Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Dear Monterey68,

Please contact [email protected] ; [email protected]
    With your concerns. We are sorry if your e-mail was lost during the change
    To the new Internet e-mail server.

Canyon College is preparing to apply with an accreditor that is
    Listed with the U.S. Department of Education. The website should
    Be back up as soon as approval is given. Current students will be
    Allowed to finish.

No federal law requires a college to affiliate with a private accrediting body.
    Accreditation is not required by the U.S. government to open or run
    A college or technical institute and there are various types
    Of accreditation. Over 2,000 post-secondary U.S. schools
    And colleges do not have any accreditation.

As an independent school, Canyon College has tried to keep costs
    Down and make college courses affordable. Finding an affordable
    Accreditor has taken some time. Again, accreditation is strictly a
    Voluntary option in the United States.

Canyon College has provided affordable college courses for 11 years
    And plans to continue to serve students for years to come.

Canyon College

adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2010, 10:26 AM

Creepy, I have had this happen to me. I ask a question about something and the actual company comes and answers it. Now it just happened to you. Creepy.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 8, 2010, 10:29 AM

Yeah Adam it kind of is... AMHD is profound isn't it?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 01:41 PM

Here's a story about Canyon College from Fox News. Although it's 2 years old, it definitely raises questions about the place.

Buyer Beware: Online Degrees Can Come With Pitfalls - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 08:39 PM

The question was not were they accredited or not. There are 1000's of schools that are not accredited, That does not make them a scam, only means that to many they will not have as much value or they can not be transferred to other major schools. For example a BS degree from a non accredited school ( US Dept of Education) normally will not be accepted for going for a Masters at an accedited school.

For example many church seminaries of major denominations are not accredited. This does not make them bad, only means they are not accredited. Some law schools, that are state approved and allow you to sit for the bar are not accredited by the US Dept of Education, you can still become an attorney.

The idea here is can you sue, well go back to the loan agreement or payment agreement and see exactly what your rights and duties are.
    If you received your education as agreed then you will normally owe the money.

Sep 13, 2010, 09:08 PM

Update
    So finally I heard from the man in charge. He called me one morning and tried to explain the situation. Unfortunately, his explanation just made it worse for me; I realized after hanging up the phone that I was basically “SCREWED”
    Although our conversation didn't go exactly like I'm about to tell, but behind the dialogue it was really what was meant to be said
    Him: Ok, so you know that we were playing in the gray area, and you know that I know that you know you are "screwed"
    Me: I didn't quite realize that, but thanks for making it clear for me. Now what should I do?
    Him: well, we applied for regional accreditation and we might just get it. It will take at least two years but like I said “we might get it”. So you have option A&B. A) Finish your three classes and in 2 years it might be worth something. Option B…sorry there is no option B
    Me: so you want me to give you more money for a degree that” might” be worth something in 2 years
    Him: yes, because here in Canyon College we believe in…blablablala
    Me: I’m thinking “is this a nightmare?” Do I really sound that stupid? Must be my accent.. Yes I’m foreigner so what?
    Him: Hello…are you there?
    Me: yes I’m here….why would you offer none transferable classes to somebody who lives in California
    Him: uhuh… how about these Lakers.. Huh…what a show they put on yesterday…
    Me: All right I got it…no need for more games…
    Him: so think about it, and when you are ready to give us more money, call us and we will be more than happy to take it…again
    And there was my conversation with the man at Canyon College… I’m simply out of options….any help good people?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 05:01 AM

You had the options to find if they meet the requirements before you enrolled. Unless they specificly lied to you in writing about their status you have little recourse.

If you signed up and took their courses you owe them the money. If you have not finished the course you paid for, I would finish them.

Again, most of the online schools are not accredited but are many colleges that grant degrees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accreditation for Canyon College [ 14 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if Canyon College in Caldwell, Idaho accredited? I was told that it has a private accreditation. What is a private accreditation? Silvesterdav

Heat pump blows cool air,then warm air, then cool air again [ 5 Answers ]

My heat pump comes on, blows cool air, then hot air, then back to cool air again. The unit also runs for days at a time without ever shutting off, thus causing my electric meter to be moving very fast, and running up my electric bill. It has been running now for 42 straight hours. What can...

Cool air, but not keeping house cool during heat of day [ 1 Answers ]

Unit is blowing cool air, but not keeping house cool during the heat of the day

Canyon College accreditation [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if Canyon College is an accredited college before I enroll.

Heat Pump Doesn't cool, even heats up whenon Cool Setting [ 4 Answers ]

About a 10 year old "YORK High Performance" heat pump... The heat pump was set to Cool for my summer AC and usually has been working well. At noon on a warm day it stopped The element inside-blower with the freon (sp?) would not get cool and for short times heat up blowing warm air in an...

View more questions Search