Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shwebell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 08:53 AM
    Removing tape ghosting from wood table top
    I recently had to cover an oak table top to protect it from paint. Blue painter's tape was used, and not the delicate surface tape (kick me). In the process of removing the tape, a ghosting occurred where the tape was. This was NOT tape residue, but more like the ghosting you see when you leave a wet glass on a table. Is there a way to remove the ghosting without having to sand down the whole table top and re-laquer?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 06:36 PM

You might try a light rubbing of vegetable oil with a soft cloth.

Tick
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 07:22 PM

If you are sure that it is not adhesive residue from the tape it is probably moisture or humidity that somehow got in the finish. If so, just wait, it will probably dissipate on its own. Hard rubbing with a soft cloth every few days will probably speed up the process.
    shwebell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 04:51 PM
    OK, thanks. I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clean a finished wood table [ 4 Answers ]

We have an OLD dining room set. The table top has "issues". It has a "film" on it from years of pledge. Also, there are some spots that are dull. I think its mahhgany? Its dark. What can I do to clean it up and restore a nice shine to it? Thanks!

Repairing Wood Table [ 2 Answers ]

My coffee table is 34 years old and has bcome unsteady. The joints and legs are not held together with nails. I thought the best way to fix it would be to turn the table upside down, determine which joints were loose and then use an expanding wood glue (as opposed to regular wood glue that I would...

Displaying/Using Wood Dining Table [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a beautiful dark wood dining table with patchwork inlays. We do NOT want to cover with pads or tablecloths. Is there something equivalent to a gymnasium finish that we could put on the table that would not ruin it but allow us to use it without scratching the surface?

Getting tape glue off wood furniture [ 3 Answers ]

The movers put packing tape on my wood furniture. The backing(glue) remaind on my furniture when I removed the tape. How do I remove it without destroying my furniture? Thank you so much. Kathy

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

View more questions Search