Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garry2205 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 08:20 AM
    I want to build a pitch roof not with a truss design
    Hi I am in the process of building an extension with no ceiling . I want a pitched roof but with no ceiling rafters at plate level to give maximum ceiling height. I believe I can use a warm roof design can anyone advise. Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 06:32 PM

As long as the span isn't too big, you can use rafters and collar ties. You can also use scissor trusses that are better for load bearing and typically have a 7-8 outside pitch and a 5-6 inside pitch. I just built a 1400 sq. ft. log home with scissor trusses spanning 24 ft. 7 on top and 5 inside, 13 ft. to center. Looks great. You can also insulate and ventilate better and it's easier to run HVAC and wiring.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2010, 07:57 PM
    Warm roof design?Can you explain this please?

My only concern would be the limited pitch and what you plan on using for roofing materials.Shingles are designed for 8/12 pitch or greater,less than that and you need to lap less than the standard 5",also using ice and water shield is recommended.

Cold lap and modified bitumen can also be used for lesser pitches(and you can insulate heavily under those 2 as well,if that is your need/purpose.)

From a point higher than the ceiling,you can run the cross ties to the building making a ceiling higher than the header.But this would depend on the length of said rafters..
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Aug 29, 2010, 04:20 AM

Once you raise the ceiling joists from the top of the bearing walls, you must de-rate the size of the rafters according to the methods prescibed by your building code.

If you do not wish to use any ceiling joists, cross-laterals, or collar ties... the ridge must be designed as a beam or girder and must be designed by an engineer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find ibeam size for roof truss [ 5 Answers ]

I am building a 40&60 metal building I need to build a 60 foot center truss . Iwant to use a 18 inch 35w ibeam but I am not sure if the size is right . The roof pitch is 12/2 with 6 inch insulation and 26 gauge are panels

Roof truss project questions [ 4 Answers ]

I built my own rafters and roofing system for our 12x31 guest house. Now we have a 2264 sf slab that will soon have ICF walls in early/mid-september. The house has 3 basic areas and will have 3 gabled roof sections of 6/12 pitch. 2 of the 3 have a 20' span and the top plate height is 10'. 1...

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Roof truss [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a gambrel storage sheld 12x16 sheld I need to know how wide of a truss will I need, and how can I build my own, what kind of a angle do I need to cut for the peck of the truss, what degree does it have to be and how much of a hangover, do I need a hangover? give me some info...

Understanding roof truss diagrams. [ 17 Answers ]

Hello - I am in the process of investigating expanding a room by taking some space out of my garage. This entails moving a wall about 2.5 feet into the garage to gain this space in a mud/laundry room. Above the room is attic space (which is easily accessable). My concern is that the current...

View more questions Search