Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joejodi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 06:35 AM
    2 story townhouse in need of better circulation (cooling) upstairs.
    I have over the years added help in the attic to get the hot air out so cool air will rise and cool upstairs better. We are in need of a total replacement of all components. What do I need to consider as I bring this issue up with H/A pros.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 06:49 PM

What kind of "help" have you added-power vents?/ more insulation? Townhouses by their construction features are somewhat difficult to work with because there are walls on both sides. Usually this is good but difficult to get cross flow. The best way to insure a cooler upstairs is a power vent to remove attic heat, extra insulation, 18", and a separate system for heating and cooling. You could also consider a zone valve with a single system and 2 zones. When the upstairs calls for cooling, the downstairs vents are closed by the master vent and only upstairs vents move air. This is cheaper than 2 systems. I have a Honeywell 3 zone system in my house and it works great.

Aug 29, 2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks I will look into a zone valve system. By the way I do have a power vent that kicks in about 92 degrees. It has helped. Just trying to get the right system that will do the trick. Thanks for the help

Sep 3, 2010, 06:11 PM

Got a great quote of $8,700 for a Trane Zone 2 system. Looking for finacing now.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2010, 06:38 PM

Hope everything works out for you. My system has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Industrial Water Circulation Cooling System for Welding - Installation Assistance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I need some help installing an industrial water circulation cooling system used for spot welding. Does anyone have a diagram on what that looks like. Thanks for any help! MJohnson11

A/c unit running inside and outside but not cooling upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

My a/c unit outside of home is running (compressor?) and it is blowing inside and running too. In the morning after all night the temp is at 72 which is where it is set, but the rest of the day it is set on 72 and is 80 in the home. Both inside and outside are running all day. Why would this be...

Cooling Upstairs [ 6 Answers ]

I live in San Antonio Texas, in a house that was build back 1985. I have only one central air condition & heat pump for both upstairs and downstairs. I change the filter and get annual maintenance check up. There is a big difference between the temperature upstairs than downstairs (at least 5 to...

Efficiently Cooling 2 Story House [ 17 Answers ]

To start, I'm 100% not technical or mechanically inclined (you'll learn quickly when you read this). I have a 2 story house with finished basement and beating my head against the wall figuring out, if anything, that I can do to keep the top floor cool without making the main floor and basement...

Cooling options for upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old house that always kept pretty cool during the Summer until I renovated going back and up. This has resulted in a downstairs area with more north facing windows, and therefore it heats up more. Upstairs is a nightmare – an oven. I’m comfortable with getting refrigerated Air...

View more questions Search