Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rosein Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 06:09 AM
    'how can I raise header tank'
    I have a cold water tank on the roof. The 2 showers directly below have hardly any water pressure. How best can I raise the water tank i.e. stand it on bricks or do I have to build something?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2010, 06:43 AM
    Larger outlet lines from the tank will allow for more pressure to the heads, either that or smaller heads on the showers to restrict the flow.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2010, 09:16 AM

Larger outlet lines from the tank will allow for more pressure to the heads
    This will increase the volume to the heads but will not increase the pressure and restricting the flow at the heads won't increase the pressure ether. If this worked before then I'd check the shower heads for blockages. However, If you always had low pressure about the only other way to increase the pressure would be to raise the tank,thus increasing the head pressure or installing a booster pump on the outlet of the tank. Regards, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 10:06 AM

SB hit the nail on the head. You could run a 12" pipe to the showers and would not probably notice much difference since the pressure would be the same. You only get 1# of pressure for every 2.5 feet or so of elevation, so unless your tank is 50 to 100 hundred feet up, you're just not going to get much. A booster pump would probably work wonders for you and would not be much trouble to install, nor cost an arm and a leg. Raising your tank is, to me, simply not a workable option. Bear in mind that raising the tank 10 feet (quite an undertaking) would only raise your pressure about 4#. You'd hardly notice it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My header tank is empty [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water is running really slow but my cold water seems OK, I looked into the header tank and its almost empty what do I do?

Algae in header tank [ 2 Answers ]

How do I clear black a;gae from hot water system header tank

Ballcock in header tank renewal [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to change ballcock on hot water header tank have shut off valves under sink and in airing cupboard but still have water going into tank why?

Header tank [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I have my hot water from my heating venting into my header tank but only when hot water and heating is on, if I put them on individual it does not happen?? Thermostat is OK and pump is fine.

View more questions Search