Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2006, 04:39 PM
    History of Santa Clause
    Here is a site that gives some detail into the history of Santa and various customs around the world.

http://www.lnstar.com/mall/main-areas/santafaq.htm
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2006, 06:07 PM
    Thanks, always good to look into the history of what we do.

Another great site for the santa scoop is:

http://www.northpolesantaclaus.com/santahistory.htm
    Arctodos Simos Posts: 22, Reputation: 5

Apr 15, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Many of the legends and customs surrounding Santa Claus may stem from practices that precede the Christian era.
    The prsctice of coming in through the roof and leaving items around the fire is likely to have its origins in the Midwinter celebrations of some of the northern peoples, where the Shaman of a tribe would lower him/her self down through the smoke-hole of an underground winter dwelling and leave carvings of herd and game animals around the fire, to release the spirits of those animals to ensure good breeding and hunting for the next year.
    The origins of him residing at the North Pole and his use of reindeers may come from the Lappish & Sami peoples, who come from the regions where this was practiced and mould their year to the movements of the reindeer.
    As for the red and white costume he wears, some 18th to 19th century depictions often show him in either green and white or blue and white (and less commonly in yellow and white). His costume becoming fixed as the more commonly known red & white probably does come about in the way described on the site mentioned by Fr_Chuck.
    If you look at some of the other traditions that are stilled followed at Christmas/Midwinter, you will find that many of them have pre- Christisn origins. But they are answers to other questions. So I'll just sign off for now.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuff
    Here is a site that gives some detail into the history of Santa and various customs around the world.

Santa Claus Facts, Origin and fun Tidbits
    Thanks Chuff, That was an excellent site. Thank you.

Joe
    trueface Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 03:15 AM
    Few days a go while finding the answar of what is the history of santa claus, I found a video which describe what is the history of santa clause.
    You can find that video on sharpeffect.net
    History of santa clause

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Santa Baby? [ 20 Answers ]

I was wondering who sang Santa Baby, is it a Betty Boop song?

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

Santa Claws? [ 7 Answers ]

So Disney say that "Santa",is one of their characters.Sounds more like them playing Scrooge if you ask me.Merry xmas. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6189521.stm

If Only Santa Was Real [ 1 Answers ]

If only santa was real, not a child in the land would go without a toy. Being a mother of 7, this will be the first year, I can not place a present under the tree. I tried to apply for xmas help but most took up their forms in oct. which I did not see to need for help then. There is one thing we...

View more questions Search