Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Aug 27, 2010, 10:02 PM
    Deciding what camera to buy! Please help.
    I was wondering if anyone knew more information about these cameras.
    I am a beginner. They are both 35mm film cameras.
    How much would it cost to get the pictures printed?
    These are the cameras:

UrbanOutfitters.com > Fisheye Camera

UrbanOutfitters.com > Lomography Diana Mini 35mm Camera

Thank you very much!
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Aug 27, 2010, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lJ. View Post
    These are the cameras:

Thank you very much!!
    Neither one of these are good cameras for a beginner. For a beginner, you should get a basic 35mm camera with the usual adjustments - (shutter speed, aperture, film speed, focus) so that you can learn how all these adjustments work together to produce different types of photos. The cameras you listed are very specialized, not general purpose cameras. Until you know how to master a general purpose camera you won't understand how to get the most out of either of those cameras.

You can buy a general purpose 35mm film camera used from craigslist or eBay for a fairly low price these days because so many people are moving from film to digital.

Aug 27, 2010, 11:41 PM

I actually have a film camera already which may be 35mm. Thanks for answering.
    Also, could you explain lomography cameras?
    I may buy a fisheye camera or a fisheye lomography camera.

Aug 28, 2010, 12:10 AM

Does anyone know what lomography [I know it's a company] exactly is. What photographic effect does it create with those types of cameras?
    Also does fisheye and fisheye lomography always have vignetting. Thanks!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 04:26 AM

Its distorted veiws of the world around you. The actual edges aren't straight. They are bent. As in a circle. Typical 50mm lens produces about 28 degrees of viewing. That's what the world looks like through 1 eye. If you close 1 eye that's the approximate.

This lens for lemography shoots at 170 degrees. It looks almost like a bubble. Hence the name fisheye.

Look here for more information on lomography and the world wide community it serves.

About on Lomography

Aug 28, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lJ. View Post
    These are the cameras:

Thank you very much!!
    It would help if you could explain what you know about photography, and what your photographic interests are.

Most people who shoot with film (today) start with black and white film and develop their own negatives and prints to fully understand (and control) the photographic process, before progressing to color film. If you aren't going to do that, then you may not want to shoot film.

Aug 28, 2010, 07:44 AM
    Lomography is a style of photography, the type of photos produced from a Lomo camera. These are really cheap (poor quality) cameras that produce a number of poor photographic effects in the images, including lack of sharpness (because of the cheap lens) and vignetting. See this post about how to create this effect on any photo using software editing (photoshop):

After the Lomo photography look

A fish eye lens (on any type of camera) is a very wide angle lens and will produce a distorted view with curved edges. It has nothing to do with lomography - you can usually add a fisheye adaptor to any camera lens.

Aug 29, 2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you for answering.
    What is a holga camera?
    I am a beginner in photography and I have no specific interest to be honest, I am just researching different cameras, and I think I'm going to get a holga 35mm camera or a fisheye lomo [lo-fi] camera. And I know these are not professional cameras, I didn't think they were, I just think they would be interesting to use.

Aug 30, 2010, 08:03 PM

I decided on the Holga 35mm camera.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which camera to buy [ 3 Answers ]

I am signed up for a still photography class. I use a Canon A40 Powershot for work - I point the camera, press the button, it takes good photos. The instructor suggests a better camera - but he also said I could get a close up lens for the Canon. Any suggestions on what I should buy - or...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

Help deciding [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a hard time figuring out what software to use. Can someone please suggest a really good anti-virus software for PC please? Thank you

Help on deciding [ 4 Answers ]

Ok well I want to get an apple but am unsure as to the disadvantages. I have read the entire discussion fourom but still have some questions. Is there a version of Photoshop for the Powerbook G5? Laso, downloading files from the internet. If I went to a site like www.download.com could I get any...

View more questions Search