Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kljland Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
    I have a 220 spa that keeps kicking the ground fault instantly.
    My 220 spa keeps kicking the ground fault in the disconnect instantly. I thought it was the spa so I unhooked the wires at the breaker that run to the spa and it is still kicking off instantly. I then replaced the ground fault breaker at a cost of 100 and it is still kicking. I am at a loss. Could it be the disconnect box that the breaker is in or the wire from the house panel to the ground fault breaker. The breaker in the house panel is not kicking.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 07:37 PM

Is the GFCI in the panel or is it in the disconnect box?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 03:02 AM
    How/where is the white neutral pigtail of the GFI breaker connected?

Photos will be a big help.

Aug 28, 2010, 05:45 AM

The breaker is in the disconnect. The white neutral is run to a ground bar in the disconnect panel. Not the same bar as the copper ground.

I have a picture just cannot seem to get it into this post. If you know how I will gladly post it.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 04:22 AM
    IS the bar the white pigtail connected to the neutral bar. That contains the neutral white from the feeder? This neutral bar should be insulated from any equipment ground, including the panel metal box.

Which version of AMHD are you using? There are several different ones. Someplace where type can reply to this thread, will be an advanced option, and there will be a button at the top of the window you type your answer in to manage attachments, this will allow you to add a photo to your post.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 29, 2010, 04:37 AM

Converting picture files to JPEG format helps to reduce size.

Old version of AMHD,
    To post pictures upload them to your computer in JPEG format. Make your post, click on the "Go Advance" button below the "Answer this Question" block. Scroll down an click on "Manage Attachments" browse to find pictures, click "Open", click "Upload".

Aug 29, 2010, 06:36 AM
    Got the picture uploaded thank you for the help
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 07:04 AM

Try removing the Neutral, annd see if it trips.
    You are turning all the way off and back on?
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Try what Strat requests.

Looks connected properly.

It is difficult to see if the neutral bar is bonded or not. Should not be.

Check to be sure there is not a screw that is in the neutral bar that goes through the bar and is threaded into the metal box of the panel. If so, remove that screw.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 07:58 AM

TK, the Neutral is the only thing left, wonder if there is a difference in potential between Neutral and Ground, Strange.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 08:15 AM

I think I see a bare ground wire on the "NEUTRAL" bar at the bottom. Not good.

Verify that the neutral bar is not connected to ground.

Does the Spa use neutral?

Aug 29, 2010, 08:42 AM

I measured the resistance between the neutral bar and ground bar and got 00.2 in both boxes.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 08:47 AM

Remove from the panel and see if it resets.

Aug 29, 2010, 08:57 AM

I can get it to reset in and out of the panel. As soon as I turn the breaker on at the house panel it kicks the disconnect ground fault breaker instantly.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 09:49 AM

Earlier it sounded like it was tripping with no load connected?
    What is connected when it trips?
    GFI may be good and we can get to the SPA, but the GFI needs to be able to be reset with no wires connected First.

Aug 29, 2010, 10:11 AM

Spa and wires to the spa are disconnected. Have breaker in house panel with wires running to the disconnect which has the ground fault breaker. The load to the spa is unhooked.

Aug 29, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Here is a small drawing I did
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 11:50 AM

Take the neutral coming from the house and wirenut it to the pigtail. Bet it will work. Everything else as you had it.

Aug 29, 2010, 04:23 PM

Well tried connecting the pig tail to the neutral from the house. Still instant kick.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 04:50 PM

To Verify, With the 2 hots and neutral disconnected and the coiled neutral is tied to neutral, it still trips?
    What is the voltage between each hot and neutral and ground? Your low resistance says it will be nothing or extremely low.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

220 volt spa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi we are buying a used 220 volt spa for therapy for sick child and we do not have a handy 220 outlet to plub it into. What is the easiest and cheapest and fastest way to get it working. Converting to a 110v, using a converting transformer, buying a really long 220v piggy back and running it into...

Ground Wire on Spa Controller [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed the air pressure switch on my SpaBuilders controller for my spa. I noticed that the bare ground wire attached to the left side of the controller was not attached at the other end. I searched, but could not find a likely place to connect this. Where shall I connect this ground...

50 amp ground fault breaker for spa tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I read four similar questions, but I am sure I didn't make any of the mistakes mentioned in their answers. I wired a new service for a used hot tub I recently purchased. I put a paired 50 amp breaker in my main panel and connected them to a 50 amp Cutler Hammer Hot Tub Panel with about two feet...

#12 ground wire for a spa? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a used spa from a friend. I am ready to run my electrical connections but I noticed the pig-tail that is on the spa has three 6 or 8 Gage wires for hot and common but the wire that I assume is the ground is only 12 Gage or so. Is this because the ground wire serves only to trip the...

View more questions Search