Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kljland Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 05:02 PM

Yes all load side unhooked and pig tail run to neutral still trips.

OK line side still hooked up. White to Neutral 118 Black to Neutral 118. Whit to Ground 119 Black to Ground 119.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 05:24 PM

Is the neutral bar part of the breaker?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 05:44 PM

Here is a picture how it should be wired:
    How to wire a GFCI diagram, 3 & 4 wire set up • SpaForums.Com 1-866-364-9681
    Sounds like white is used as 1 of your hots and you may not have a Neutral, may not need a neutral for your spa, does it have terminals for 3 or 4 wires?

Aug 29, 2010, 06:01 PM

No the neutral bar is separate. The spa has a red slot labeled hot a white slot labeled neutral a black slot labeled hot and a ground bar.

Aug 29, 2010, 06:08 PM

Here are some pictures of the breaker I replaced they said was bad. One is front view one is bottom view (load side).
    Attached Images

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 02:36 AM
    There is a chance the panel the defective breaker was plugged into is defective also, for the GFI to be tripping with no load wires connected.

I see no other connection problem with the new GFI.

Aug 30, 2010, 05:36 PM

Could it be the new breaker is defective? If so how might I check it? I pulled the box apart today and do not see any burns. I by passed the box and breaker temporary and everything is working.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 05:56 PM

One way is a clamp ground tester meter with peak hold, but doubt you have one of them.

You "MAY" be able to tell something, if you can insert a milliammeter in the ground lead. At the inside panel would be best. It's not a real safe test to do.

Check for voltage from the unconnected ground wire to ground.

With the inside breaker off. Check for voltages to ground and check resistances from L1, L2 to the connected ground. And L1, L2 to the disconnected ground wire.

Aug 30, 2010, 06:12 PM

Might be better off buying a new box and the breaker comes with it. I am just trying to make sure it is not the wire before the disconnect. I did unhook the wires from the inside panel and the disconnect today and OHM the wires. Did not see anything on those wires.

Aug 30, 2010, 06:13 PM
    i want to thank everyone for the help

Aug 31, 2010, 03:59 PM

Think it is a faulty breaker I bought. Had a friend with the same box. Put my breaker in it no load and it kicked instantly. Ran wire from his breaker to mine not having it mounted and it tripped.

Sep 6, 2010, 06:00 PM
    Well changed out the breaker again. Seems the breaker I bought was defective and caused this entire headache.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

220 volt spa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi we are buying a used 220 volt spa for therapy for sick child and we do not have a handy 220 outlet to plub it into. What is the easiest and cheapest and fastest way to get it working. Converting to a 110v, using a converting transformer, buying a really long 220v piggy back and running it into...

Ground Wire on Spa Controller [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed the air pressure switch on my SpaBuilders controller for my spa. I noticed that the bare ground wire attached to the left side of the controller was not attached at the other end. I searched, but could not find a likely place to connect this. Where shall I connect this ground...

50 amp ground fault breaker for spa tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I read four similar questions, but I am sure I didn't make any of the mistakes mentioned in their answers. I wired a new service for a used hot tub I recently purchased. I put a paired 50 amp breaker in my main panel and connected them to a 50 amp Cutler Hammer Hot Tub Panel with about two feet...

#12 ground wire for a spa? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a used spa from a friend. I am ready to run my electrical connections but I noticed the pig-tail that is on the spa has three 6 or 8 Gage wires for hot and common but the wire that I assume is the ground is only 12 Gage or so. Is this because the ground wire serves only to trip the...

View more questions Search