Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    l.mariacoleman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 10:40 AM
    How do I change my children's last name to mine
    I am a single mother of two wonderful boys. I have never been married and I want my boys to carry on my families name. Their father isn't apart of their lives and have not been for several years. I reside in jacksonville, Florida.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2010, 12:42 PM

In general, you can change a name without having to do anything special, just inform everyone of the new name and make sure it is on all documentation. You can do a formal name change by deed poll, but it's not necessary.

The classic example is a woman getting married. There is no legal mechanism that changes her name to her husband's, it's just custom for her to change her surname. If she does not tell her bank, gas company and local library of her new name, she will continue to be known by her old one.

I was very surprised recently when my 13 year old daughter informed me that she had double-barrelled her name, and was now registered in her school, library and doctor's surgery with her new name.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2010, 12:54 PM

This is a legal question and has been moved to the correct forum. Please exercise more care in choosing the forum to post in in the future. The inaccuracy of your first response is one example why you should post in the proper forum.

To change the names of your children you will need to go to court. And you will need to get the father's permission or, at least, show a good faith effort to obtain that permission.

However, your children can go by any name they want as long as there is no intent to defraud. So they can use your name except where a legal name is required. When they are 18 they can apply for a change of their legal name and won't need anyone else's opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I still change my daughter's last name to mine? [ 5 Answers ]

Can my daughter's father relinquish his parental rights just because I want to change our daughter's last name from his to mine? Do I have a say in this?

How do I change my son's last name to mine [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change my son's last name to mine

How can I change my sons last name to mine? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a son who will be 3 on the 24th... I have been with my wife for 4 years.. when we got together she was separated and had filed for divorce... her x lived in another state and did not visit... after several months she moved in with me and we planned to married after her divorce (shes my high...

Can I change my child's last name to mine? [ 1 Answers ]

Live in the state of Georgia. I'm not married and when my child was both, my then boyfriend was there and I put gave my child his last name on the birth certificate. I think it would have been wiser to give my child my last name since we were not married and the then boyfriend has never...

View more questions Search