Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmgg711 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 01:08 PM
    Old Refrig. Died. 2 weeks for another. I deducted $150 for food. LL wants the $150
    Refrigerator quit working. My food spoiled, I deducted $150 to replace the food. 2 weeks for refrigerator replacement. Landlord wants the $150. Was I wrong in expecting replacement of food$
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:15 PM

I owned apartments and it would have depended on the circumstances - what happened to the refrigerator?

If you were a good tenant, the failure was completely my fault and you could prove you lost $150 in food, yes, I would give you the $150. Would I have told you to deduct the money from the rent? No.

If you had deducted the money from the rent would I have evicted you - yes, most likely. These are two separate issues.

On the other hand if it was not my fault, you were not a good tenant or I simply didn't believe you had $150 in food in the refrigerator, no, I would not.

Why is a replacement taking two weeks? I'd be more concerned about paying rent for two weeks and having to live without a refrigerator.

I had freezer insurance; my power was out for 3 days; I lost everything. I took everything out of the freezer and photographed it before I threw it out. I was very happy with what the insurance company paid me. Not a landlord situation, of course, but that's how I handled something similar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I put a 150 amp breaker in a 200 amp panel to feed a 150 amp sub panel? [ 8 Answers ]

Can I put a 150 amp breaker in a 200 amp panel to feed a 150 amp sub panel with a 200 amp service?

'90 F-150 still doesn't start [ 3 Answers ]

Replaced ICM and coil , starter cranks engine, but no spark. The repair manual is vague about location of fuses , fusible links. What does a failed fusible link look like? Do any of the fuses under the dash control the ignition? There are a lot of small , plug-in modules in the engine compartment...

Overdrive on F-150 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I just bought a '99 F150, but I'm having a problem with it. If I'm driving in the city, and get up to 45-50mph, when I start to slow, I can feel the truck drop out of overdrive kind of hard, and then the overdrive OFF light starts flashing. There is no way to get it to stop flashing...

View more questions Search