Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsnjmr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 12:30 PM
    19 y/o cat with renal failure, stroke and now is sick again!
    My cat of 19 years suffered a stroke and was also diagnose with renal failure in the spring. She was in the hospital for a couple of days and then sent home when her condition improve (she was eating and able to stand).
    She is very fragile, her hind legs are not holding her very much and yesterday she looks like she suffer another stroke. She is all stretch in her bed and when I try to move her she starts shaking (looks like seiizures) also she urinated her bed and does not seem to notice... not sure what to do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:03 PM

I have asked that this be moved from health and wellness - medical conditions to the pets and animals/cat part of AMHD.

It sounds like it is time for you to have to make that terrible decision that all of us who love our pets have to face at some point. Is her quality of life worth preserving? Is it time for her to be euthanized?

It sounds to me like you truly love her and gone to extremes to keep her alive and happy but sometimes between age and illness we have to do our pets the very final thing we can do to prove we love them - we have to let them go.

Only you know whether she would want to live like this or not. I've had to look at my dogs (I've never had a cat) many, many times and make this choice. It's never easy, I've always mourned and grieved and suffered, but I've also always known I did the right thing.

I think you need to discuss her condition with your Vet.
    jsnjmr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 01:14 PM

Thank you for the quick response... I do believe this is the end for her... she has been a great companion and a lovely pet to have for the last 19 years! Is just so sad!
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:16 PM

It is sad and it's never, ever easy. Some animals simply own your heart and it sounds like she's one of them.

But, again, the greatest kindness is to end the suffering if and when it's time.

You love her. She knows that. She will leave this life knowing that.

We should all be so lucky!

I wish you well and my heart goes out to you
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 26, 2010, 03:54 PM

Just hold her and hug her at the end. Let yourself cry, and remember the 19 wonderful years you had with her.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 04:40 PM

My dogs always left me looking at my face, hearing my voice.

And then I cried - which is what HH just said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sick cat, maybe a stroke? [ 14 Answers ]

Our healthy 15 year old cat has very suddenly acted like she may be having something like a stroke. Her legs go stiff and she stretches her front legs in front of her and even brings one up over her head. Her hind legs go stiff as well. She looses her balance and has difficulty walking. Staggering...

Renal failure [ 3 Answers ]

My son is dying he has only 2and 4 percent kidney funcion how long has he got and what should I expect

Renal Failure [ 2 Answers ]

Is renal failure (kidney disease) hereditary?

Renal failure in a CAT [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My eight year old cat, Willy, was recently diagnosed with Kidney Renal Failure..KIDNEY RENAL FAILURE He is right on the border. I would like to know what is the difference between Perscription products for Kidneys and the other products.. For example, Low Phosphorus, reduced portein,...

View more questions Search