Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amy.jewell4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
    Hipaa law violations
    I was seen by a doctor and was given the results of my tests. My husband's aunt has the same doctor and had an appointment with him later that day. The doctor told her my results and medical history. My husband and I are the only ones to receive any information about my medical history (past, present and future). I am so upset.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 10:45 AM

I'm shocked but what is your question - ?

Aug 26, 2010, 11:30 AM
    What can I do about the situation and not let this doctor do this to me again? Isn't this a violation to the HIPAA law I signed?

{dups removed-<>}
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 12:05 PM

For whatever reason your question/answer posted 3 times.

You would report this violation to HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

And, again, I am SHOCKED that this happened to you. I'd be furious - and you probably are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 26, 2010, 12:44 PM

Yes this is a violation of HIPAA, but I'm not sure what you mean by "signed". You may have signed an acknowledgment that you were informed of your HIPAA rights. But that's all it was, an acknowledgment.

You can and should report this to HIPAA, use the link that Judy posted. What will happen is an investigation will be done and the doctor will probably be fined. He may be forced to also apologize to you.

I would also start looking for a new doctor. After you have reported him I wouldn't trust this doctor to treat you fairly.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    yes this is a violation of HIPAA, but I'm not sure what you mean by "signed". You may have signed an acknowledgment that you were informed of your HIPAA rights. But that's all it was, an acknowledgment.

You can and should report this to HIPAA, use the link that Judy posted. What will happen is an investigation will be done and the doctor will probably be fined. he may be forced to also apologize to you.

I would also start looking for a new doctor. After you have reported him I wouldn't trust this doctor to treat you fairly.
    I would guess she signed an acknowledgement of HIPAA as you said, and also a privacy waiver giving her husband access to her info. I agree- find a new doc as well.

To the OP - report it ASAP.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:04 PM

I agree - she signed the waiver to release the info to her husband (possibly) OR an acknowledgement that she received the HIPAA info.

Aug 26, 2010, 02:29 PM

Thank you so much for your answers.. and yes it was a HIPAA acknowledgement, sorry for the confusion. The doctor called me and apologized and said he knew better, but thought since it was a family member it would be all right. Anyway... thank you again for your quick responses, will be following up on the information you have provided.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 02:36 PM

Please do - this is almost beyond belief. Just out of curiousity - is it an older Doctor? I can't imagine anyone who is familiar with HIPAA doing such a thing - !

Aug 26, 2010, 02:38 PM

Yes.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 02:42 PM

Old or old and senile?

My gosh - my late husband was DYING and we were arguing about HIPAA and what they could tell me because the (fill in the word stupid) Hospital couldn't find the HIPAA release which ran to me and could only find one that was six years old, before he met me, and ran to his daughter.

Mistakes happen in reverse, too, I would imagine.

Totally inexcusable!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa law violations by fire departments [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a fire department as a PARAMEDIC, can a captain of mine go through an ENS run form and contact a patient of mine , if he wasn't on scene of the call in the first place?

Hipaa violations [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a violation of hipaa, if I take a picture of a patient that has been discharged?

HIPAA Violations [ 2 Answers ]

A nurse I work with/supervise, called a family member to let them know she was being sent to the hospital. The family member asked, "who is being sent to the hospital?" and she told her the resident's name. The family member then stated, that is not my mother's name. The nurse then apologized to...

HIPAA Violations [ 1 Answers ]

An owner of a housing oppurtunity is also a peditrician. He went into medical records to determine who would be the best tenant for his property. He was not a doctor for me or my unborn child nor did he have permission to access my medical records. Is this a violation of HIPAA?

Hipaa Violations [ 1 Answers ]

How do I report a Hipaa violation?

View more questions Search