Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sidu Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Dec 24, 2006, 03:03 AM
    My Son
    My 2 years old son not yet to start speak he, just call 'mummy' or 'daddy' only... we, me and wife is normlly not outspoken much please help me
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 24, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Sidu, it's not unusual for boys to have speech delays. Mine did. And we were worried. We had him evaluated. In our case, he was fine. Just not a talkative guy. He was a listener. Still is at 16 years of age. Still doesn't speak much. But when he does, look out!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2006, 06:06 AM
    If you are really concerned, please seek out a professional medical evaluation.

All of us here mean well and would love to help everyone, but honestly all we can do is tell you about the problems that others have had, and each case can be different. In my case a friend of mine had a child and it turned out they had a hearing issue and had they not gotten medical attention the child's learning would have been delayed.

In another friends case all the child had to do was point or start to cry and everyone ran craqy getting them things, they never had a reason to ask for anything, once that environment was changed and they were forced to try to ask for things they started trying to talk.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Just my two cents, I'm not a professional or anything but I work with a very shy girl and she didn't start talking until the age of 3 and half. Maybe you child is just shy. Also I've always heard reading to a child helps them to talk and start forming sentences.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 24, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Many children are "late talkers." There is nothing wrong with that, rather than talking they are watching and learning.

My youngest son was 2 1/2 before he started talking. My niece has her Master's level in early childhood development. She said basically what Fr. Chuck said: He knows how to grunt (or whatever noise they make) and the adults or older brothers and sisters know what they want and give it to them. If you stop this behavior they then begin to speak.

If he is at the fridge and points and grunts, for instance, you have to say "Do you want some juice?" If he shakes his head yes, then you have to say "Say juice, say juice"

Parents have to promote the talking, if the child can say mommy and daddy, there is nothing wrong. Wait until 3 years - 3 1/2 years before having an evaluation done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Son just on 16 [ 34 Answers ]

My son is just on 16 and is very keen on a girl he met at school and who he has known for some time at school and at Scouts. Over the last month they have noticed each other more. The problem is that my wife has an objection to my son having a girlfriend until at least 18+ and has grounded him for...

Please help me and my son [ 5 Answers ]

OK here's my situtaion I do not want my son's father's mother any where around myself or my son,here's a little backround she's is on drugs every pill, pain killer there is, she does multiple kinds of drugs meth, crank she'll eat it, snort it, smoke it all in her house. Her 11 and 12 yr. old...

I need help with my son. [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 36 and have a 16 year old son. His mother moved to Scotland before he was born and 2 years ago died of cancer my son who I didn't even know about came to live with me. However we didn't really take to each other. Kyle(my son)had a stepdad who wasn't the most nice of people so he doesn't...

Looking for my Son [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to find my son who I have not seen since he was 18 months old he is now 24 yrs old. How can I find him for free as I am disabled and on benefit? Please help Thanks Tyreburner

My son is gone... now what? [ 15 Answers ]

My son, Tiponi passed away in Dec. 2004. My shield of numbness is gone from me. I feel alone on the subject of death as no one here will talk about it or my son, Tiponi. If I mention his name the subject is quickly changed. If I have a moment of crying because I miss him so... my boyfriend...

View more questions Search