Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aacee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Someone has accessed my email account - can I find out who?
    Hi,
    It appears someone has been accessing my hotmail account for a while and sending out emails from my address but I have never seen this. Is it possible to find out for definite if this has happened? This is a serious matter as I am being accused of harassment when I have not done anything.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 06:56 AM

Depends on WHO you use for email...

If it's a free service you are out of luck.

Try changing your password to something secure after you get the keylogger off your machine IF you have followed secure passord guidelines.

Aug 26, 2010, 07:23 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for that. It's the free hotmail account. Can't I even find out what emails have been sent from my account if I request the information under the Data Protection Act? Surely all emails sent out must leave a record somewhere?

Sorry I'm not exactly a wizz on IT.

Aug 26, 2010, 07:30 AM

Plus, what is a keylogger?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 10:27 AM

Well, look at it this way... you get what you pay for with a free account. The only way you are going to get someone to do that is with a court order... because lets be honest... they make how much providing you a free email account?

You would have to prove beyond any doubt you are who you claim you are. That is assuming you could get them to do anything at all.

Incidentally... you can spoof emails. Where to the average person it appears to be coming from someone it isn't. If the email is made public anyplace... thats likely what happened and nobody but you has been in it.

A key logger is a piece of spyware

That literally logs every keystroke you make and it forwards (or makes it availible) to a party who had a hand in getting it on your machine. Literally anything you type is captured.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

My email that was broken into was [email protected] and the alternet email address was [email protected]. My password and alternet email address was changed I think he might of even closed the account I have a lot of important contacts on that account it there any way you can reset the password...

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way you can reopen my account and reset my password for [email protected]

Google email account [ 3 Answers ]

Posed a question on two gmail accounts re homepage on first account, received reply from NeedKarma but cannot down load?

Google email account [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Google email account, I recently set up another account, in so doing I lost my original home page on my first account, as a result contacts,drafts, sent mail etc. are not available to me on that page. Homepage on first account now come up on second account. How do I get original page...

The bank accessed our personal account [ 2 Answers ]

I have an LLC that is now in chapter 11. It is current on Interest payments and loan payments. But, the bank took funds from our personal account to cover a shortage that may happen at a later date. They did not have a jugdement against us. They did not get permission from anyone including a judge....

View more questions Search